Lock down fun pt2 - reconstitution of Dawes Galaxy

epicyclo

Senior Retro Guru
Spent half a day in the "sun" cleaning and polishing the frame.

It still doesn't look pretty, but I was following my own advice, which is the best way to find out if something is broken or about to break is to clean and polish it.

I didn't go overboard about it though. All I want is a decent layer of wax on it to prevent further corrosion while I build it up and ride it for a while.

Then if I don't like it better than the Pompino, I'll sell it in its original paint. If I keep it, it will get painted anything but the bilious Crystal Green that's on it.

Well, not just anything, probably Saltire Blue with white panels. :)

Tomorrow the massive inventory of the epicyclo warehouse will be raided for the reconstitution... :)

Did a quick test to see if the brake reach of the canti mounts on a 27" wheel bike would accommodate a 700c.

Yes, if there's enough length of slot in the brake arm. Handy to know for sure, so now I'll go for 700c wheels because you can get better tyres than for 27" these days.

Need more pictures, especially of you cleaning up those derailleurs ;)
Wax on wax off, wax on, wax off :)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":2q1r8w0a said:
Need more pictures, especially of you cleaning up those derailleurs ;)
Got a bucket of salty water for that job - apparently it works wonders... :)

Re:

I favour, instead of wax, for preserving a patina rich frame to use twice boiled linseed oil. Basically it's the natural ingredient of old style oil paints. Smear it on with an old rag and over time it dries to form a natural varnish, you need to recoat every once in while but it's a five minute job. Very good for any exposed metal parts. Very slight golden brown colour that almost imperceptibly darkens paint colour.

A whole month with not an update?

Obviously the bike has been taken back to bare metal, repainted by an artisan shop and original transfers carefully fitted before a coat of clear lacquer was applied, NOS components fitted, and so it is now indistinguishable from its brandnew self of 30 odd years ago. Nope.

Or indecision induced procrastination? Yup. :)

The frame has been cleaned and polished, and it's actually quite nice, patinated, but nice enough to use as is IMO.

So why has nothing happened?

Two reasons.

The first of which was my daughter deciding to fall off her shoes on a night out and shattering (not just breaking - she's a no half-measures lass) her ankle. End result was she spent the last 6 weeks getting fatter and fatter lounging around on our settee with her personal slave running around serving up innumerable cups of tea, cocoa, water, and fetching this and that.

The more important reason is as a result of holding up the Galaxy frame against the Windrush. The WIndrush has appreciably longer chainstays, which probably explains its stability at speed over rough ground. That is a feature I don't want to lose.

The justification of the Galaxy for me was better braking, ie cantis instead of centrepulls. I then had the thought - why not braze canti bosses on to the Windrush? That way I can have the best of both worlds.

Further contemplation is required.

Current thinking is to build up a mongrel from the pair of them, ie use the Galaxy canti fork on the WIndrush - I measured them and it has the same A/C and offset.

Needless to say, as an inveterate bodger, that has way more appeal to me than turning out a perfect restoration. There may be a Galaxy frame going spare... :)

Back