Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:14 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gritopia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:27 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

What's Janet's brae again?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:36 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

kaiser wrote:
What's Janet's brae again?

First climb out of peebles, by the hydro, starts gentle and gets steeper, then gets steeper and finishes with a steeper bit. Its evil.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Rebuilt my good old Raleigh White Lightnin', I think it might serve as its comparatively light, very broad geared and a classic xc MTB.
Still in fear and annoyance at the toughness of a "introduction" to gravel riding. Bit all I can do now is give it a go ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:42 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Good man- love that bike!
There's every chance I'll be ducking out early and taking a shortcut home as I'm riding the enduro course on sunday too, albeit on the ebike as course sweeper..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:51 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Here is a quote from Bike Radar that amused me and slags both us old school mtb'ers and the new school Gravel bikers off with equal comedy:;

"A gravel bike is a road bike, but heavier and with slower tyres. It's narrow and steep and tall, and you can't shift your weight much, so it teaches you ancient, authentic skills such as 'desperately trying not to crash' and 'how to still crash' and 'acting superior even now you've crashed’. It's just like mountain biking used to be, before it was ruined by marketing BS! And quantifiable progress! And by, you know, physics!"

:D :D :D

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:48 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

velomaniac wrote:
Here is a quote from Bike Radar that amused me and slags both us old school mtb'ers and the new school Gravel bikers off with equal comedy:;

"A gravel bike is a road bike, but heavier and with slower tyres. It's narrow and steep and tall, and you can't shift your weight much, so it teaches you ancient, authentic skills such as 'desperately trying not to crash' and 'how to still crash' and 'acting superior even now you've crashed’. It's just like mountain biking used to be, before it was ruined by marketing BS! And quantifiable progress! And by, you know, physics!"

:D :D :D

Love it, still tempted by one though, if only to comply with n+1..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

:lol: maybe that's why I really like my Gravel bike then :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

Finishing touches to the bike tonight, all good apart from a noisy front brake and a wee bit of gear vagueness around the middle of the cassette. Might have a look but it's not bad, I forgot the fun of setting canti's :(

Velo, I'll be treating this entirely as a jaunt, aiming to enjoy the scenery as much as the purgatory. I've a feeling you are underestimating yersell anyway and will be off and away up the hill.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Wish I was Kaiser but after the G7 crash I've got bruised ribs and a frequent painful limp of the left leg plus a bit of ankle strain for the right :(

However I intend to plod steadily at the back safe in the knowledge that many gravel bikes are no better than my late 80's xc bike if the quote I printed previously is accurate :lol:

The climb is a barsteward but I've done it before many times so I'm sure I can do it again. See you there chief :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:19 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

Had a wee look at the weather.... might be an idea to set of early! When are you two thinking of starting?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next