RANDONNEUR HIGHLAND OVERNIGHTER RIDE 19-20 AUGUST 2017

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
RANDONNEUR HIGHLAND OVERNIGHTER RIDE 19-20 AUGUST 2017

Setting up/organising a Randonneur campout ride for the weekend of 19/20 August 2017
Ride is taking place on the west coast of Scotland starting from the highland village of Achnasheen, which is on the trainline from Inverness to Skye with the ride starting around 10am when the first train arrives in case people need it.
The route will then head west to Strathcarron where we will turn and head over the mountainous climb to Applecross. We will camp at a yet to be determined site near Applecross and then on the Sunday head around the peninsula to Torrindon and on to Kinlochewe before turning back towards Achnasheen finishing Sunday afternoon sometime.
There are plenty of villages around the loop and camping will depend on numbers really whether we can wild camp or I will sort an organised place near to Applecross. Dinner I would think would be in a local pub or café. I will also maybe look at a indoor option for if the weather is really bad. Again it will be number dependant.
The mileages are day to Achnasheen to Applecross is 62 kilometres, it might not sound like much but this will be leaving when the train arrives from Inverness, so a little bit later than normal and it also takes in the Bealach na Ba climb which has sometimes been rated one of the hardest climbs in Britain. It is easy enough, it's just long. In around 10kilometres you gain 630m, but the views are spectacular and the ride down to Applecross is a lovely descent with, again, spectacular views around each bend.
Day 2 Applecross to Achnasheen is around 80kilometres and relatively flat or rolling roads around the coast with the climb back out from Kinlochewe up past the lookout onto the higher ground back past the lochs to Achnasheen.
While I am setting out the route and maybe organising a few places to stop at depending on the numbers, this is very much a self supported ride that I am hoping to run in a relaxed randonneur way. I am hoping people come along and socialize regardless of what you are riding, it's certainly going to be run at a relaxed pace with rest stops etc, hoping people will just enjoy the ride and take in the lovely scenery that a few of us get to ride regularly.
Certainly open to all, families, wives, husbands, children.
So bring whatever you think suites it out the stable really, I would rather someone came on their modern bikepacking bike than didn't come at all.
If anyone is interested just let me know, no commitment necessary, just so I have an idea as I will try and put this out to another group as well.

Jamie

Here is the planned route.
Screenshot (3) by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Here are a couple of photos of previous rides to show the sort of roads and scenery on the route.
DSCN4022 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4017 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4041 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4067 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN4075 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

19456210870_57406fcb58_k by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

19644401655_5c9a017d3e_k by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Thats rather nice.

*only* a 9 hour drive away in current traffic. :p

Will see whats what and this and that and the other.

Well, I have the bike, I have the racks and the panniers, just need to look at actual camping equipment. My tent is some 22 years old and a bit heavy. Might splash out on a simple one-man jobbie and decent sleeping bag.

Put me down as a provisional as still need to work out the logistics of getting there, camping and getting home with a 1100 mile round trip.

*and of course, permission!! :oops: :D

I'll be there. I can guarantee at least one rider with a "relaxed pace". :)

And don't forget you can get an overnight train from as far south as London and be there for the start.

Re:

If anyone needs transit to and from Inverness I am due to collect some folk up that way on the Saturday, and return them on Sunday, so it would be no problem. If anyone needs a steed likewise, as long as I know in advance what size needed.

I could drop a tent or two off while I am over and a stove, water, beer, food, etc., anything needed really. I am going down Loch Carron anyway and an excuse to pop over to Applecross is never really needed. The pub does decent grub, and will be busy this time of year. Ideal for that post ride pint and snack.

LGF> Potentially you could fly up to Inverness rather than drive. If you book now you might get lucky Luton to Inverness, if you can grab one of the early Friday flights and the late Sunday return. Probably want to ride your own bike, but if you decided to fly I could give you a bike. That Raleigh Classic would do the job, but you might want to put a different saddle on it, plenty of which I have I never like riding someone else's broken in Brooks.

Hi mate
The offer of help is appreciated and someone may well need a lift to the start etc but no need for dropping stuff to Applecross as it's a deliberately unsupported ride. It's carry your own gear if camping etc and no vehicles involved in any way.
There is a couple of other groups that may be involved and the route and type of ride is all organised and sorted. Hence why on the ride there is no vehicular involvement or drop offs etc. There is no more organisation needed for this.
Like I said, it is appreciated and someone may take you up on a lift to the start but further is not needed.
Cheers

Jamie

Still 50/50 on this due to the logistics. I have a pass - just need the tent and a suitably sorted bike.

The plan is to drop the missus off at Durham so she can visit her family then its the 6 hour drive from there.

Sooo, I'd need somewhere to stay on the Friday night and the Sunday night - camping or B&B?

And speaking of bikes, what gearing? I have just about any combination available.

I was thinking along the lines of:

23323103312_a3eb94c986_z.jpg

Ta.

Back