And today I revisited my youth

epicyclo

Senior Retro Guru
When I was a young lad I had an Andre Bertin C37 set up just the way I wanted for riding hill tracks around the Highlands. (Ignore that derailleur - it didn't last long :) )

55 years later I have an Andre Bertin C37 set up just the way I want for riding hill tracks around the Highlands.

I've been collecting the bits for this for quite a few years. The Ideale Modele 90 Rebour saddle was bought 10 years ago, the embossed handlebars about 7 years ago, and so on. Even got the right handlebar tape. Finding the right frame took longer.

It was strange doing the modifications. For example when I went to fit the fattest tyre I could cram into the forks, that was when I remembered I had the same problem last time, and I had to slightly relieve the underside of the fork crown and brake bridge with a file to get about 1mm clearance. This time because I'm getting old and frail, instead of singlespeeding it, I fitted a 3 speed hub. I've had to bodge up a changer under the seat - that will get tidied up.

Obviously it is a work in progress, and I intend to repaint it once everything is the way it should be. Took it out for a trot last night. It zooms up hills and descends just like I remember. Very nimble.

And it's off for another ride today in Inverness to Dores with the veteran mob. (I was supposed to take my Flying Scot because it's a Scottish theme, but the Auld Alliance means French should be ok, shouldn't it? :) )

Re:

Lovely bike Brian, nice interpretation on the old clubman style with the 3 speed hub :cool:

I am similarly enthused about early Dawes Galaxy's, I've had two now though the last was stolen. On the look out for a third and might go hub gear like you have as I have a SA 5 speed hub waiting in the wings.

I can vouch for this being a very nice machine, having seen it in person when it came out for a brief 'road' ride in the autumn. It certainly shifted along nicely both on and off road.
The derailleur being swapped out for a hub gear may not be a bad thing as I remember riding along listening to the gear noise as it was left untrimmed :)

Jamie

DSCN3029 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3039 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3046 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3056 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3055 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN3057 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Jamie

RobMac":2ntka5to said:
What size is your frame?
58cm C to T

Jamiedyer":2ntka5to said:
..The derailleur being swapped out for a hub gear may not be a bad thing as I remember riding along listening to the gear noise as it was left untrimmed :)...

A derailleur bike makes very sad noises when it falls into the hands of a singlespeeder.

But don't worry, the derailleur is well and truly "trimmed" now. :)

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":2t8uz3zx said:
I've been collecting bits to build a Norton Commando since 2001 :D

My experience with Norton Commandos was the bits got widely dispersed. :)

(Had a Dunstall engined one)

Re:

Brian that bike is superb, love the back story. Worthy of a thread in the road bike section, I'm sure loads would like the hear the story.

Back