Alpkit gear

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Fancy doing a couple of bivi's over the summer. Been looking at some Alpkit stuff, decent price and uk company. Anyone used any of it?

clubby":211p9xn4 said:
Been looking at some Alpkit stuff, decent price and uk company. Anyone used any of it?

I've got their Hunka bivi bag and their Rig 3.5 tarp also a Gourdon 25/30 Ltr roll top rucksack.
You get what you pay for but the Alpkit stuff is OK.

Re:

I've been look at some of their stuff for "bikepacking",not the cheapest but.... looks to be well made, gets good reviews, should last years & years. Look at it as an investment.
I'm currently looking for a top tube/stem bag and maybe a frame bag.

whats up with stopping in a bothy?

Re:

For a reasonably priced frame bag, have a look at Lomo wetsuits in Glasgow. FRame bag looks like a winner at that price.

Re: Re:

kaiser":2mivm5q2 said:
For a reasonably priced frame bag, have a look at Lomo wetsuits in Glasgow. FRame bag looks like a winner at that price.

Thanks for that, just had a look and it could be a winner, do you know if they have an actual shop or is purely online business?

Attachments

• Bike-A-Frame-Dry-Bag.jpg
    Bike-A-Frame-Dry-Bag.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,774
Re:

Afaik there is an actual shop. City centre but a bit of the main drag.

Re:

Well today I test fitted a couple of bits of Alpkit gear, a medium Fuel Pod and two Stem Cell bags.
They look well made, and although it's only velcro that holds them onto the bike it is good quality velcro, and the webbing/molle straps on the bags mean you can position the straps wherever you want to suit your frame.
I'm doing a few Sportive type events this year including the Dirty Reiver which is 200kms around Kielder Forest in Northumberland and wanted a bit of extra carrying capacity, and also so that I'm not carrying much (or any) weight on my back by way of a Camelback type backpack. I'd prefer to have no weight on my back over a long distance, but I'll see how things go.
The Fuel Pod will be for phone, keys, and maybe a few tools, and also the battery pack for my front light (it has a neat covered cable entry/exit point in the front of the bag).
The Stem cells will be for food and water, so that it's easily to hand when I'm riding.
I'll give them a proper test out over the coming weeks.
Alpkit do a bundle which includes the 3 bags I got for £60.

Attachments

• 20170203_151105-800x450.jpg
    20170203_151105-800x450.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,701
  • 20170203_160051-600x1069.jpg
    20170203_160051-600x1069.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,701
Re:

Although not Alpkit I recently bought a Ortlieb seat-pack and I'll be getting the handlebar-pack ASAP.
Plus I've also got a couple of different size Ortlieb saddle bags, good quality kit.

Re:

A few observations from using the above bags today...
If I pack the medium Fuel Pod full it has a tenancy to flop to one side slightly, which means I catch it with the inside of my knees. Once I took my phone out of it and rearranged the contents it was much better. The inside of my knees would occasionally rub on the pack when I was out of the saddle climbing up a hill, if you're a bandy legged fecker it wouldn't happen.
I think the issue was the velcro straps moving about on the smooth top tube, maybe some grip tape or a rubber band between top tube and velcro strap would help.
In the Fuel Pod today I had a spare tube, 2 CO2 canisters with inflator, 2 tyre levers, a multi tool, energy bar, energy gel, keys.
The Stem Cell bags may have to go on front of the bars, as again when I got out of the saddle on a steep climb I would catch my knees on them. The fit and security of them was spot on though. I just had a water bottle in one Stem Cell, and the other would have taken my jacket if it had ever got warm enough for me to take it off!

I don't know what the deal is with bike touring or bike-packing, are you meant to stay seated and grind the gears on climbs? It seems that either my frame is short, or my legs are long!, either way it felt a bit odd when I did find myself needing you be out of the saddle on a climb as my knees sometimes rubbed on the bags, by the end of the ride I was used to it though.

Back