Stepping down

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Right gents, I think time's come for me to step down as AEC.

My hearts just not in it at the moment. This year I've only ridden the Cannondale at the Pentlands ride, and although that buoyed my enthusiasm, the lack of other rides has seen that disappear again.
I'm not disappearing from the forum and will still be at rides, but at the moment I just prefer my modern bikes, which isn't really good for an AEC.

I'm really looking forward to Macduro at the weekend, and I'm happy to step in to help organise future rides, but someone else needs to step up and push the future calendar forward.

Hope to see you at the Sidlaws, Steven.

Re:

Sorry to hear this Clubby but you have done a great job so far.

I have feared for sometime that you have hit the nail on the head with the enthusiasm thing in MacRetro. Most members do enjoy riding their modern bikes more. Simple fact is modern is generally better because of progress and as we get older the riding of uncomfortable poorly or unsuspended bikes off road becomes too much of a task.

I now believe retro is a mindset you need, to be in retrobike but not a physical requirement. If actually riding an old bike was de riguer then the membership would fall by as much as 80%.

Maybe we dont need an actual AEC since nothing gets done up here without a lot of banter and discussion by many members anyway.

Anyhoo, thanks for all your efforts up to now ;)

Re:

I'll second what Velo said. It's been a tough tenure and I reckon you did a cracking job. Cheers clubby.

Aye, as above. Can't really argue with Velo's post, I think he's summed it up nicely. Well in clubby, and I reckon the Sidlaws will be a fitting send off - a good combo of retro bikes and modern GPS (and no doubt one or two comedy crashes on the way).

Before you go would you mind picking up a set of wheels from The Ken for me and would anybody mind bringing them down to Edinburgh / Tweed Valley? Lol.

Seriously though, I'm sort of the same except I don't have a Modern bike as yet!

Can't disagree with anything said so far.
You gave it a good crack Clubby so cheers for that. :D
It's probably a good moment for me to bow out as well and then a new team can start afresh if that's what folk want to do, or not. I'm still struggling with my back and I'm not sure if I will make it on Sunday. It would seem this is how it is going to be for the foreseeable, so organising rides and not knowing until the day whether I can participate is no good. :cry:
Aw ra best! ;)

Re:

First it was Cameron and Farage now Clubby and FFTC!! where is it all going to end (on the up side I'm expecting some female replacements :LOL: ).

Time to fire up the "Future of MacRetro rides" thread again? With all this love for modern bikes would it be better to focus our retro efforts once a year on a weekend retrofest and the rest of the time ride something comfortable that stops in a timely fashion. And as Velo mentioned rather than piling the pressure to organise this ride on one person why not just get everyone involved in deciding what, when and where.

Re:

You've done some stirling work organising a lot of the rides Clubby, your presence in the AEC role will be missed for sure.

Maybe time to change the name of the group to "MacModern"? :LOL:

Hell!, I've only got one retrobike now, and although I love riding it, it's more often than not the 29'er that gets ridden now. That's progress I suppose.

Edit: oh, and FFTC, you've done some alright stuff as well i guess... ;) :LOL:

Thanks for all the effort Clubby, and Barry, it is, as seen here, much appreciated.
Velo pretty much summed it up really and summed up nicely too.
while I haven't been as active the last couple of years as I have been in the past and when I am lately its on my more modern 1X1 or Pugs, it doesn't mean I have no desire in my retro machines or in being active in Macretro. Its obviously a part of all of us.
Maybe see what people want from Macretro these days and see how to make it happen. Years ago there weren't anywhere near as many people but the core group of riders was larger, so its hard to know whether some are happy not to be active or is there something different to do to bring them out on the rides.
For me I would dearly love to get to more rides like I used to but as well as the distance, the time is a big issue these day with me needing to spend weekend time with Caleb now he's at school all week.
A Sunday morning start at Glentress for example requires me to leave after lunch on Saturday and not get home until very late Sunday, just harder to do all round these days. Not complaining at all just explaining. Have to chose my meets more selectively and like others, I have interests going on with other cycling groups, fatbike, singlespeed, as well as Audax UK stuff. A lot of this is closer for me and so is often more accessible. Macretro will always be thought of as 'home' to me though, proper mates.

Jamie

Back