Velodromes in north of Scotland - any?

epicyclo

Senior Retro Guru
I know it's not really retro business, but this is a pretty knowledgeable bunch.

I fancy doing some track work.

The nearest outside velodrome I'm aware of is in Dundee.

Anything north of that?

Re:

One is being planned for Inverness. In the mean time go for grass track, its quite popular at Highland Games :D

Re: Re:

velomaniac":306j3lcs said:
One is being planned for Inverness. In the mean time go for grass track, its quite popular at Highland Games :D

I'll be too old by the time Inverness actually has a track.

I need a hard surface to ride on for testing my next project.

Although there's heaps of grass tracks around here, they're usually only available for the path races and I don't want to race (introduces too many variables). However it is something I'm chasing up on the basis something is better than nothing.

Bullpup":3jbop1rd said:
Is there not a perimeter road around an airfield or similar?

I've been checking on Google maps, so if anyone knows of something like that it will be better tan nothing.

Re:

Miles and miles of closed roads down by me at Barry Buddon. Not much closer than Dundee, but bring the pug and make a weekend of it.

epicyclo":3tszks81 said:
Bullpup":3tszks81 said:
Is there not a perimeter road around an airfield or similar?

I've been checking on Google maps, so if anyone knows of something like that it will be better tan nothing.

If you are looking at the better than nothing idea, there's Boyndie Kart track near Banff, http://www.grampiankartclub.com/about/the-circuit.php
Not been there for a long time, not since I stopped racing, but the Google image on the Kart club web-page shows the runways still there.
Or maybe you could even use the track itself. There is another kart track at Golspie, no runways though as it's at Little Ferry in amongst the sand dunes. http://nskarting.info/track-layout/

Re:

Gonnae tell us whit yer up tae, neebs?
e14534.gif

Back