I need Hope...

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I'm bored of rim brakes, they're soooo "retro" :mrgreen:

What's the possibilities of putting some Hope disc brakes on my 1994 Orange Prestige? Ideally pre-94' brakes, which I guess means mechanical? Do Canti levers work with them? (I've some nice ones that I've been wsitingbto use).
I need to know about adapters/braze ons to mount them to frame/forks. I also need to know what hubs they work with? Hadn't Hope changed to a 6 bolt pattern by 94'??

I know a few macretro members are pretty knowledgeable on these Hope Discs, so interested to hear what the chances are....

Dyna Ti is the massive Hope fan so if he doesn't pop up soon be worth sending him a message. I'm sure he would be happy to advise, and probably has half the kit to sell you! :LOL:
Also, TheKen has discs on his Xizang which is very early, but he's not posting much these days.
Be interesting to see how you get on as these very early disc setups are a mystery to me.

I fitted Hope in 1994/5 to my Zaskar. At the time they would only 'allow' fitting to certain suspension forks. I had the kit that fitted to the Judy DH and the 3 bolt spider Hope front hub.

These days I would simply find an Orange frame and get disk tabs welded on. Everything else is easily modified to suit and reversible if someone screams sacrilege.

epicyclo":2ozvpfhm said:
You could of course fit drum brakes....

NO!!! :facepalm:

:LOL: I always wanted discs bitd, but went for the next best thing at the time ... Magura rim brakes :cool:

Aye, great modulation on they drum brakes. :LOL:

Bikes at home in the shed or uncontrollable locked up skid.

dyna-ti":2ufzie9v said:
Aye, great modulation on they drum brakes. :LOL:

Bikes at home in the shed or uncontrollable locked up skid.

Nah, set up properly they're pretty good.

DynaTi has a nice rear hope for sale but it is the 91 version which might be a bit early for you, the 93/94 ones were black and used a spider. Look up 1992 cats whiskas for inspiration or rake through the link in my signature.

Re:

You could look for a #1 caliper with a clamp (depending on the fork) and a #2 rear with Torsion arm

Both would be 155mm size disk and require hope hubs with the shortened axles / different spacers

I have loads of kit but none for sale unfortunately

Latest posts

Back