Pentlands (actually bring a) Retro Ride - Saturday 14th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Velo has picked up this ride from an injured FFTC and has chosen Saturday 14th May.

This one's been designated this years Retro Only ride. I know I'm not normally a stickler for this sort of thing, but GT last June was the previous one, so this is overdue.

Details to follow, but we've been promised a pub half way :cool:

Glad this is still going ahead despite me being unable to organise. Thanks for taking up the cudgel Velo. ;)
It is good for us to get the old bikes out the shed at least once a year. And we did have one last year Clubby, as everyone who made it to GT was on a retro machine. :cool:

Attachments

• Picture 039_zpsj2bm6ivg.JPG
    Picture 039_zpsj2bm6ivg.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2,082
Re:

Yes!! No bloody Fatbike nonsense!! :LOL:
This is "Retrobike" after all.

I'll pencil this in my diary, hopefully be free that weekend.

Re:

I'm up for this one, no ridden in the Pentlands for a while and have a couple of bikes which haven't made an outing yet on a MacRetro ride. Should have some level of fitness by May too hopefully :LOL:

OK everybody I have a rough plan that I will flesh out and recon between now and May. My plan is based on the fact I live at the North East end of the Pentland Hills and thus my knowledge of the trails is at that end.
Start point will be Flotterstone Visitors Centre:
http://www.pentlandhills.org/pentlandhi ... _centres/3
Which lies behind the Flotterstone Inn off the A702 near Penicuik.
There is a carpark and public toilets. We will assemble from 10ish for a 11am start.
Stage One will be a tarmac climb to the mid point of Glencorse Reservoir then off road Northwestward between Bells Hill and Harbour hill down to Harlaw reservoir where a catering van can supply you with coffee to help you deal with the warm up.
Stage Two will involve crossing the dam wall between Harlaw reservoir to the north and Threipmuir Reservoir to the south before skirting the west side of Black Hill in a southern direction. We will then pass between Black Hill and Hare Hill passing a waterfall and fording a stream twice before reaching the southern end of Loganlee Reservoir. We will follow the road back to the mid point of Glencorse Reservoir before striking north this time between Harbour Hill and Capelaw Hill. We will head north skirting Bonally reservoir before a long fast descent down to Dreghorn Junction by the A720 bypass. Watch out for sheep as they can leap out in front of you !!!
We will then make our way across a field, under the bypass and around Dreghorn baracks by some entertaining single track before heading along a path to The Hunters Tryst Pub for refreshments. This pub has a beer garden if the weather is nice and a couple of log burning fires if it is not, they also do food.
Stage Three is back south of the bypass through Swanston village to paths and tracks above the golf courses that will take us eastward to Hillend Ski Slope which we skirt before heading south on the eastern edge of the Pentlands to Boghall farm. At this point we will leave the pentlands and using a combination of tracks and paths head back to Flotterstone through Midlothian farmland. Another stream will need to be forded.
At Flotterstone another pub exists if any more refreshment is required.
I hope my plan is not a killer but I will be tweaking it as my mild ME is a great barometer of what is doable and what is not. :D

Oh and I will be riding retro but not as clearly defined retro as I usually ride. Lets just say my proposed steed is late nineties early noughties tech that Big Eck would not disaprove of.
This does not mean I feel my route is too tough for non bouncy stuff, the Pentlands is where I learned my craft and my then steeds were all rigid. I just have a mad critter sitting in my hall that wants to hit the trails :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back