Spring Ride - Sunday 19th April - Ballater

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
How time flies. With the first big group ride of the year done (thanks TK) , it's time to start thinking about the next.

Venue for the Spring Ride is Ballater on Sunday 19th April.

Not sure if we've had a group ride in that area before, certainly not in my time on the site. We came close when we stormed Glen Doll from the south side last Easter, but family commitments and general apathy kept the group small.

The plan for the main Sunday ride is to ride the descent that was snowed in last year. The ride will start in Ballater and head up the Glen Muick road before taking to the lochside tracks. We will climb (push) up the track we descended last year and the hopefully ride down the "Streak of Lightning." After that we have a number of return options including a lovely run down into the Balmoral estate, depending on weather/ground conditions/legs. All retro friendly (ish) , but the streak of lightning is a tad exposed and a real test of commitment.

As it's Scotland and April this may all change but I've had a chat with the friendly staff at Cycle Highlands in Ballater and have came up with a number of contingency plans, in the event of snow.

I know for the wester coasters it's a bit of a trek (plan 2 hours from Perth) and with that in mind I'm planning a leg loosener on the Saturday afternoon with a Saturday night pub meal and stay over.

So that's 7 weeks to finish off and test the mythical parts bin specials or to make up your excuses. :D

Re:

OOOOh that's awfy close to my current abode and there's decent 2nd hand bookshop in Ballater :cool:

Might even be able to work there the Friday or Monday ;)

Will have a thunk and see what's doing.........................

Should be in for the Sunday at a minimum - got a wedding on the Friday, so Saturday... hmmm.

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":1f6p5krt said:
What sort of Saturday accommodation are you thinking Clubby?

I've a few options depending on how many are staying over.

I'll be returning from my hols on the sunday so no ride for me, enjoy.

I saw the Quo in 86 and 88, good gigs but happy to keep it that way. Do you like real music as well Keith?

Looks like I've picked a busy weekend for this ride, it's also the big demo weekend at Cyclehighlands so there'll be a few bikers around town and on the trails.
Two weeks to go this weekend, so can I have an idea of who's still interested in coming.

Back