Road Ride:Sunday May 17th - Bonar Bridge - leadmore + return

Jamiedyer

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Thought theres no rides in the macretro camp anywhere north and there are no road rides anywhere close. So here is a road ride for Sunday the 17th May.

Route to be finalised depanding on numbers of attending but looking at day run starting at Bonar Bridge and running through to Leadmore Junction, lunch nearby, then returning part way on the same roads and then turning to loop up to Lairg and returning to Bonar Bridge.
Depending on weather, riders etc this can be shortened by taking out the loop.
Distance approx: 70miles via Lairg or 60 returning via a more direct route on opposite side of river to main road back to Bonar Bridge.
I can help organise accomadation for anyone staying the Saturday night.
Will organise for an early dinner at Bonar Bridge so people can eat properly before the long drive home.
We have a few new members from the Inverness and surrounding areas so maybe even if they dont want to ride they may meet us for lunch or dinner. names to faces type thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/mapmaker?saddr ... 9289838187

My second option for the same weekend is for a leisurely two day ride from Ullapool to Durness with an overnight stay in Lochinver. The best scenery in the UK and some of the best and quietest roads. If enough interest I can put the effort in and organise this from meals to overnight in Lochinver and also return journey from Durness with bikes, depending on numbers this could range from minibus to nice wives cars and roof racks. This is a nice ride and easily doable at a macretro pace over two days and would most likely be suitable for a road or a mountain bike.

Jamie

Re:

Nice idea :) I'd be up for the one-day ride for sure.

The two-day ride sounds great too, I was up in Durness last summer and the roads around there are nice & quiet.
I can't say yay or nay on the 2-dayer yet, would need to check and find out a bit nearer the time tbh.

Re: Road Ride: May 18th - Bonar Bridge - leadmore + return

Reckon I'll be in that one.

Looks like a job for the old Grundleigh. It knows that road well...

Wind can be a right pig on that Bonar - Ledmore stretch. I managed to average 6mph on it once - flat out. :)

Re:

The weather definitely makes all the difference on that road, May is often lovely though. Sundays are no good for me but other things on my schedule from April on mean I'm almost certainly going to be extremely limited for bike / personal time and energy by May anyway :( (I shouldn't really use the sad face as it's only bad from a cycling point of view!)

Edit to say that it's a great suggestion for a ride and I hope others can make it...

Re:

Sounds like it could be a plan :cool:

Myself and my good lady may well be up for this - I'll need to see what sort of shape I'm in after the Pitlochry Etape the previous week :shock:

If you survive the Pitlochry etape then you will no doubt be in better shape than some of us ;)
Seriously, it would be great if you and your wife could join us. In the past there has been not a lot or virtually nothing up this way as there hasn't been the interest but if there is a good localised interest, especially from newer macretro's then the boys from down south may be that little bit more interested.

Jamie

What sort of bike do you want to see there Jamie?

Jamiedyer":35aqbo4g said:
If you survive the Pitlochry etape then you will no doubt be in better shape than some of us ;)

Jamie

Ha Ha, I dunno, we've got the Loch Ness one 2 weeks prior to Pitlochry, I'll be lucky to manage them both and be fit for this, I'm not exactly a paragon of fitness :oops: :oops:

It'd be good to do it, as you say there's not been much up North, i'm pretty inactive on here so I'd like to support local-ish stuff more this year :)

To be fair, probably neither of us would be riding Retro for this, would this be an issue?

Sounds fantastic Jamie. 70 mile road rides are not really my thing, but if they were..........

Hope you get a decent number for it. :D

Back