It's the spare parts winter build thread

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Alright. It's the can you 'build up a bike from your spare parts box for winter, because I'm bored' thread.

Objective: Build up a bike purely from all your spare parts.
Rules: No buying bits for the build. Although I will let you off with brake/gear cables and chain if you absolutely have to.

Sooo, I want something I might actually ride...

Macretro Stumpy frame and forks dragged oot from under the hoose. SR Slingshot stem and bars because they're a usable 680mm wide (why did 580mm become the standard for so long?). Modern tyres, big Chunky Monkey on the front, Bonty Mud-X on the rear, just in time for winter. Old Hardrock wheelset, because it's a rider.

DSC_2370.NEF.jpg

There will be (8 speed) gears. Probably just 1x it. Might put some Maguras on it for real, actual braking.

Who's with me? Anyone?

*Tumbleweeds*

Re:

If a few folks got involved you could have a build off for Dunkers.

Re:

Nice start ZZ! Looks almost half-fat with that chunky monkey up front.
Good wee winter idea but I'm strangely smug that I can't take part. This years clear out has been so successful I'm really only left with spares for the bikes I use. Loads of half used grips though, didn't realise I had such fussy hands.

Re:

Probably dont have enough to build a bike, could brobably build the Orange E3 but would need to buy a full set of V brakes.

Got stuff in the pipe line though, 77 Raleigh Chopper rebuild, resurecting the Club Roost DH8 and repainting the Clockwork grey (currently Orange/White)

The DB is being built mostly with stuff from the spares, but then I had been collecting for another build that never happened.

Apart from a nicer set of amberwalls just because, the only purchases are gear and brake cables, oh, and new grips for my fussy hands. :LOL:

Excellent gents, looks like we've got a few takers. Let's try and keep interest up, post the occasional picture and update as and when we make some progress on our builds.

Re:

Dug the frameset out of the cupboard and chucked a pair of handlebars on it.

Attachments

• C16R.jpg
    C16R.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,439
Back