Spring Epic - Sunday 13th April, Glen Clova (PLUS Mt Keen)

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Mt Keen Saturday 12th April.
For those that are keen to maximise the weekend's riding, or can't make it on the Sunday. Myself and gmac are planning tackling Mt. Keen on the Saturday. If you fancy it, put your climbing legs on!

Glen Doll (well technically Glen Clova) Sunday 13th April.
Planned ride up to Bachnagairn, down the Streak of Lightning, round Loch Muick and back up over Capel Mounth. clubby has lower routes available in case of bad weather conditions.
Starting point is 1hr - 1 1/4hr from Dundee to give you an idea of travelling time. The Clova hotel does nice food and has a bunkhouse on site, so we could stay there on the Saturday night for those wanting to make a weekend of it. Clubby is working on the Saturday but finishes at one, so can easily be there for teatime.

http://www.clova.com/scottish-bunkhouse.cfm

And from the thread last year... Here's Ecurie Neeps route map - starting from Clova end (circled in red).

glen-doll-flat.jpg

Pics here - http://www.ecurieneep.co.uk/routes.asp?routeid=9 - Photo at bottom right is the option of the Streak of Lightning descent.

Re: Spring Epic - Sunday 13th April, Glen Doll / Clova

What say you gents? Who's up for this and any interest in bunkhousing overnight?

YeeeeHaaaa !!!!

Some ones grabbed the horns of the Spring Epic Beast, I'd given up in a huff as you lot know :oops:

Yes I'm in for Bunkhouse and everything :D

Thank you ZZ and Clubby, thank you, thank you to infinity and beyond..........

Oh aye, what kind of bike would you recommend, modernish bouncy, mid school hard tail or is it actually rigid retro possible ? I can build up most stuff with enough warning.
If its torridon tough I'm definitely going a bit modern.

RobMac":122888py said:
Roughly whats the distance?

5-6 hours.
I know you said distance but this is more accurate.

velomaniac":2sfqkxyf said:
Oh aye, what kind of bike would you recommend, modernish bouncy, mid school hard tail or is it actually rigid retro possible ? I can build up most stuff with enough warning.
If its torridon tough I'm definitely going a bit modern.

Did it on a Raleigh Maverick with side pull brakes and steel rims.
Not saying I'd want to do it on that again though.

Front sus a (very) good idea, decent brakes and tyres a must. NO singlespeeds and granny ring advisable, it's a long old climb back up Capel Mounth.

Bunkhouse room booked for the 4 of us!
Anyone else coming can sort it out as any numbers increase.
I said self catering for breakfast, we can club together for porridge, bacon etc.
Dinner in the hotel would be good though. Beer festival held there every year and they normally do a good range of real ales.

cool, Im up for this over night included

Back