The culling?

clubby

MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
No it's not the Aberdonian remake of a Danish crime drama, but my slow steady clear out has hit crunch time.
Most of my interests I've had for years and as such I've amassed quite a back catalogue of old kit. I've been through my snowboard stuff and am now down to one board, funnily enough an old 97 model thats graphics are now quite cool and retro. Upgrading to yet another "next gen" games console has put another one up into a cupboard along with all the associated games and controllers designed not to work with anything else (sounds like shimano stuff). Thing is, I now have all my old consoles going back 20 years. They'd sell on ebay and part of me wants to clear out, but then for all I'd get I sometimes think I'll just keep them (in the loft for another 20 years!) Anyone into retro gaming looking for anything at the moment?

And then there's the bike stuff. Before I moved, nearly 10 years ago I cleared out some old (bike!) mags but kept my MBUKs. So thats pretty much every issue since 1990. I think these need to go. I'm going to start with the most recent and work back. The ones up to 1997 were the heyday so I may stop the clearout there. Need to cut out all the Mint Sauce's first though so it could take a while. Also got a complete back catalogue of Singletrack mags, but with their digital back issue vault, thats kind of redundant now too. Going to have a final flick through them, but if anyone wants them let me know before they hit the recycling. Also got an archive box full of mtb videos on vhs. Did list them in the classifieds but had no interest, so if anyone still has a video player you are welcome to them, can bring them along to Baltic Bawbags.

Then the bikes...
There was a time where I accumulated bikes by just keeping the older ones when I bought a new bike. Then I started looking for particular bikes or types of bikes. In the last year and a half I've bought three others, and thats not including parts for the restorations and spares. Ok, I've also sold one, most of my tyre collection and lots of spares that didn't fit my current fleet but that's still a lot. A few discussions on here and other sites have prompted me to look again at what I've actually been using, with a view to thinning out, so here's my current thoughts in no particular order.

CX bike - Keep. Ironically it's the one where the bike itself I don't actually have any particular love for, but it's so versatile it get the highest mileage.

Mojo HD - Keep (definitely) Best suspension bike I've ever had.

Fat bike - Keep. We'll move quickly on, you either get them or you don't.

1985 Colnago - Keep (for now) One of last years buys and I did a mild resto on it. Not been used much, but hoping to get out more this year. Would love to do L'Eroica or Retro Ronde. Maybe after that itch is scratched I might move it on, but timing for those might take a few years.

1992 Cannondale Delta V - Keep. Bought as frame with missing bits and a knackered headshok. Nicely built of with restored shock and some original bits. Used this a lot this year. Great for local hacking and also quarry riding at Velotrails!

Cannondale Flash 29er. - Keep for now. A great bike for covering mixed ground and used a lot. My highest mileage mtb. BUT I've always had a hankering for a Ti frame and have a few other plans at the moment, which would fill the same purpose. One possibility is to use the Flash as a donor bike then sell the frame and forks, but I do like the Lefty.

Original early noughties 853 Inbred singlespeed. Sell. A great bike, did a load of races on it including the 04 singlespeed worlds in Berlin. Good memories, but currently sitting in my Mum's holiday house as I've no space. Moved it there to use when visiting but it's been 2 years and has never been out. Thing that bugs me is I'll hardly get anything for it but then I'd only be keeping it for the sake of it.

And now the hard one.

1997 GT STS. This is the bike that brought me to the site. To sell it. Then things didn't go to plan and I ended up doing a restoration on it and it's lovely. Problem is I've only ridden it in anger three times since. It just sits in the shed, gets pulled out now and again and looks pretty. But then again I've had it from new, have all the manuals. But I don't ride it..... It's not that I've gone off retrobikes, I love and ride the delta V, but the STS just doesn't fit my current needs. I do worry that if I sold it I'd regret it, but it is only a bike and the happy memories of rides and races will remain.

Sorry for the self indulgence but I needed to put my thoughts out there. I can't be the only one that has gone through this, especially after seeing Gaz put up about the Fat Chance last week.

This is going to be my year of the big cull too.

I said it last year, but this time I mean it.

Any bike that doesn't get ridden this year goes out.

I don't think its too uncommon a feeling round here (well not for me anyway). I do think it does start to feel a bit decadent and over complicated having all these bikes, initially you do start to try to pigeon hole them, give them a purpose or reason for being, quite often tenuous. Then the guilt creeps in and the call to cull starts. I've found and I hope it helps is to try to be as truthful with yourself as you can, for me this ended up separating my retrobikes and my modern bikes and putting the riding in another room entirely. My retrobikes are what I collect, I don't feel the need to justify them by them being regular riders. The modern stuff is the tools to take me riding and I chop and change now at will and as I please and feel no guilt at all about doing so, as I honestly can say year on year I'm enjoying myself on a bike more than I've ever have( as an adult anyway). Which does kinda bring us back to the decadent bit as mentioned at the start, but I still reckon I spend less money than friends do on booze/fags/gambling/cars/golf/ and so on. I appreciate loads of folks don't get the collecting thing with bikes and thats fair enough and I think from conversations in the past that you err to that side but thats something for you to decide. The best adivce I've read lately is from Keiths wifey, 'you'll need a bigger shed first' :)

clubby":209wkyjp said:
epicyclo":209wkyjp said:
This is going to be my year of the big cull too.

Please don't, you got some lovely stuff, my fleet might actually grow!

Aye, but consider this.

When I die - which at my age may not be as far away as I like - my kids are likely to get the local charity shop to come and collect them. :)

I'd like to protect my preciouses from that fate. :)

I've established a situation where I always know without question which of my 4 i'll use for any given ride.

It's a good place to be.

Unlikely but if the Inbreds an 18" then Clubby I'd be interested, i can get away with 18" On-Ones.
Mind you if you read what I'm doing below you'll wonder why I want it.

Otherwise I'm culling too but its a slow process. The iDrive went, the Bridgestone MB3 just went on Saturday, the Centurion Starlights on ebay presently, the Diamondback Sorrento will be bike stationed along as the Claud Butler Pig Iron special already has with a Raleigh Chimera road frame and my Muddyfox Alu Pro (very scruffy but got the £25 I paid for it out of it). Both my Trek Y-Frames, my Trek 9500 frame, Dahon Matrix, raleigh twenty, On-One 456 and no name alloy frame will all be ebayed for probably not much more the postage costs. Finally and this might shock you all, the Raleigh White Lightnin' will be sold off as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why am I doing this ? I'm doing it for my sanity as I've exceeded critical mass. The weight of all that steel and alloy is metaphorically getting me down. Too many projects I cannot deal with and failing to deal with stuff is a symptom of ME that I must knock into touch.

If any of the listed stuff appeals to anyone let me know but as I'm huge few of the frames will fit any of you.

Don't know the exact size but its too small for your gangly legs! It's one of the first ones with a short head tube. Even I run a high rise stem on it.

Ah well didn't think it likely. The On-One Inbred is one of those modern classics I will own one day. Clockwork Gaz had a rather nice one he gave a cool splatter paint colour scheme to that I was rather taken with.

Latest posts

Back