2014-01-19 Strathpuffer Aftermath

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Words to follow...

Glamping at the Strathpuffer Spa. Mud treatment and cold stone massage complimentary. Wait no, they're mandatory.
DSC_1043.NEF.jpg

Warp factor beard, Mr K. Early afternoon

DSC_1053.NEF.jpg

Jamie 3/4s of the way round. Putting a brave face on his binding rear hub
DSC_1054.NEF.jpg

DSC_1055.NEF.jpg

DSC_1056.jpg

DSC_1057.jpg

Kaiser... beard sporter. Single speeder. Fat biker. And not nearly dirty enough for a Puffer racer.
DSC_1059.jpg

And some bonus pictures. TK acquires another bike (Question: Does TK stand for 'The Klepto'?)

DSC_1048.NEF.jpg

DSC_1051.NEF.jpg

Klaus managed a very respectable 12 laps, Jamie clocked up 5. I think epicyclo did 10?

Both Klaus and Jamie had their unfair share of mechanical issues. I think K dropped his chain 20 odd times in the first lap, possibly a combination of 9 speed chain not being quite tight enough, plus a slippy QR. We dropped a link from Klaus's chain, but that made it far too tight, although he did soldier on for quite a few laps with it like this hoping it might stretch. It didn't. Jamie didn't have a good start to the day either... Physically he was really toiling, probably didn't help that he camped the night before and ate his weight in pasta at the buffet.

After badgering the guy from Square Wheels for a tensioner, or a 22T rear sprocket, or a Surly chain tug (none of which he had in stock), it was Jamie that came through for Klaus - he had a chain-tug in his spares box. Myself and TK pit-bitched a new single-speed chain plus the chain tug on to Klaus's bike - after that I think he only dropped his chain once. Meanwhile, Jamie's rear hub was giving up the ghost, turning really sticky and stiff and making it a lot of extra work, especially on the climbs. Jamie felt his gearing was already too high to begin with, so obviously this wasn't helping.

Nice reliable singlespeeds then.
12 was a great result for Kaiser. My mate Alex only managed 3 more and he is mega fit.
Still think they are all mad though.

Great weekend. It's quite an event, glad I went, if only to dissuade myself from ever considering entering :)

Myself and TK arrived just after 9 on the Saturday morning, parked up, grabbed our shit, hired 15 sherpas and made our way up to the luxury accomodation... which was unfortunately full, so we checked in to Kaiser's 'Gazebo of Mud' instead. Actually, can't complain about the digs - halogen heater, tea and coffee making facilities and camping gaz mood lighting for me to bang my heid on (bad mood lighting, bad). Braw.

Weather was great, positively tropical for the Puffer. I think we had light rain for a couple of hours Saturday afternoon, then again early Sunday. It did get down to around freezing Saturday evening, but I think it warmed up overnight, by Sunday morning it was up nearer 7 degress.

So once the racers were off, MacPitBitches got down to business and breakfasted handsomely on scrambled egg rolls. Then TK went and bought a bike, which he'll no doubt tell you all about. After that, we took some inspiration from one of the rider's dads, who'd just walked round the entire course in a couple of hours... So we set off to walk the course in reverse, TK driving his new herd of fat Caribou before him. We ended up heckling (badly) from the viewpoint (final climb before the last descent of the lap) for over an hour, and then continued on our way. 5 hours later, dehydrated, sair, disoriented and in the pitch black, we made it back to 'Chez Mudbath'.

While there, MacPitBitches wielded the chain-splitter mightily and bought unleaded for the generator, which was confusing since our accommodation was definitely 4 star. We refueled ourselves on venison burgers and chips, and with head torches on heids, set off for some midnight heckling back up at the view point. I think we called it a night at 1am, and stumbled back to our alpine lodge, dodging sleep-deprived, hallucinating Puffers hooring doon the final descent. TK kipped down at the gazebo, assuming team Macretro were still turning the crank, while I made for the car, because I'm a big gayer.

Before I knew it, it was 7.30, and oh dear, I'd had nearly 5 hours sleep. Whoops. TK stayed manfully at his post, even though (unknown to us), everyone had actually given up riding and buggered off to bed in the big 5 man tent at 1 in the morning.

So that was that, Kaiser got up early and did a few more laps. Myself and TK did bacon and haggis rolls with Jamie.

Great vibe and really friendly folks. Glad I walked the course - lots of nice looking singletrack leading off left and right, a lot like Pitmedden but a bit more open. The course itself, although short looks like really hard work. Have to say, got a new found respect for the riders that can solo that for 24 hours. Or even 2.4.

Very impressed with you all including the pitcrew. I was ill in bed so probably wise I pulled out of pit crewing.
Dave DH's wee bruv did 11 laps which considering up untill a few months ago had never ridden a mtb.
Also just watched Guy Martin do 83mph plus on a sledge which he did January 10th this year and then comes 2nd in the solos at Strathpuffer, super nutter :shock:
And now TK's just bought a fat bike, lucky man !
Well done especially to Epicyclo, one lap he was out there for 3hrs 45 minutes, what was he doing ?
Great weather for the Puffer, I'm liking this winter so far :D

Some superfit types could do with more humility though. Just read a post from a fat biker who took part who claimed he could easily have done more than the 16 laps he did but got bored and couldn't get his head into it :roll:

Our lot sound more heroic :D

velomaniac":331bsuat said:
Well done especially to Epicyclo, one lap he was out there for 3hrs 45 minutes, what was he doing ?
Mind, if you stop for a break, cup of tea, sleep then it get's included in your lap time. The clock doesn't stop just because you do.

TK and myself did pass Brian early evening as he was sitting having a brew in his van. Unfortunately there was no room in there for us!

velomaniac":2nsf1pd8 said:
...Well done especially to Epicyclo, one lap he was out there for 3hrs 45 minutes, what was he doing ?...

This might help explain :) http://s436462119.websitehome.co.uk/ind ... 9#msg27279

BTW the laps times shown can be misleading. You dib, then head into the pits for whatever reason, and the pit time becomes part of the lap.

That 3:46 consisted of a pitstop where I sat in a chair, made a cup of coffee which I was trying to force myself to drink, and then waking up over an hour later with a cold cup of coffee - fortunately still in my hand. There was probably about 2 hours moving time in that lap.

BTW I can see why someone could say they were bored. I get so fed up of that track in the 24 hours of the 'Puffer that I usually don't go near it the rest of the year. It's much more fun ridden backwards IMO :)

Back