MacRetro Special Event - Drumlanrig May/June ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Hello MacRetro, we're not getting involved in the National Retrobike Series of rides this year as we think it unlikely anyone from outwith our area will show up.
However Drystonepaul the Retrobike events coordinator would still like us to promote one Special MacRetro Event in case anyone from the greater retrobike wants to make the effort.
Suggestions for what we might do from you guys would be appreciated.
I reckon Pitmedden/ Blairadam weekend with BBQ thrown in during summer might be good especially as we like riding around there and its not far from Englandshire.

EDIT:

End of May, begining of June seems clearish in National Calendar and Drumlanrig is a trail centre that lends itself to Retro bikes, we have ridden ther for a previous national.
might be good to have a Retro Only meet there at this time and promote it as our Special Event !

Re: MacRetro Special Event

No being funny but I struggle to find the motivation to drive from East Lothian to ride round pitmedden. Can't imagine it would tick the 'Scottish' box if I had come from Surrey!

(no offence to the pitmedden locals. I'd ride it loads myself if it was on the doorstep ;) )

True fired, but if you recall our national last year was as Scottishy as was possible and no one from Englandshire showed either.

If you think Pitmeddens a rubbish idea, please come up with a "good" idea.

Its you lot the membership who should come up with the ideas not just the AEC team.

Just saying like :roll:

I 'the membership' have come up with an idea.

Let's not have a 'special event' at pitmedden! :LOL:

I think I said in the National meet discussion thread that if we are having an event where we make a special effort to make sure the rest of the country know they are welcome, then it should be similar to last years National.
If no-one comes, then so be it, but if folk do come then we want it to be something worth travelling for.

So, my suggestion (just in case you miss it) is,

The special event is the Spring Epic,

or

The special event is the Summer Epic,

or

The special event is another ride in big country, but given the constraints in the schedule it would be harder to organise another ride, so best make it one of the above two.

And it should be north of the Trossachs. I'll leave the specific route choice to those with more experience, but it should be retro(ish) friendly.

Thanks for the input and I was not suggesting the special event was seperate to our normal epic rides but was in fact one of them. The question was asked by Drystonepaul the Retrobike Events Coordinator and via the membership I'm trying to furnish him with an answer. This is also why I'm pushing for a plan for the spring epic. I know I and several others like something to look forward to but this requires a plan to be created and implemented.
I reckon summer would be best for our Specially Promoted Event but what and where that is does require planning and suggestions.
So please, suggest what and where you would like to ride ?
Please be positive with suggestions , nothing is "rubbish" !

I'm with FFTC on this one, 'Special event' should be a 'This is Scotland' type of thing. Including but not essential; Bothy, Munro, Glen, Loch, unpronouncable place name, famous toon, famous way etc. Either that or plunder the previous epic aftermaths. I'd make it easy anaw and have the Spring epic and this one and the same.

What about the second post here> viewtopic.php?f=29&t=148539

The never done Ben Nevis circuit, you could even time it to work in with the world cup somehow (I'm not actually sure that would work tbh).

the Ben Nevis one looks good

another option was the glencoe, blackwater dam, kinlochleven loop we looked at last year.

someother suggestions:
Arran or Skye ?
Glen Doll or some other big mountains round Clubby's area
Something around Perthshire
Mount Keen

Purely selfishly I would love our summer epic to be late july or early august as physio reckons it will be 6months before im doing proper mountain biking :cry:

i willl stay out of the spring epic plans as likely wont be able to take part unfortunately.

to help sell the original pitmedden option you could do a fife weekender:

saturday - grand lomonds hills tour with wild camp overnight
sunday - blairadam / pitmedden double header

OK so one or two for promotion nationally of our Spring Epic as yet to be decided and i'm happy with that. Please give opinions anyone else ?

As for Pitmedden, that i think is dead in the water :roll:

Back