Tips reg Cairngorm Loop

MynameisCasper

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was advised to ask the same question here so here it goes...
Last year I did the Coast 2 Coast (St. Bees - Robin Hoods bay) in the UK and during that trip a new idea emerged...

I am thinking of doing the Cairngorm Loop(300km) and extend it a bit to visit the Dalwhinnie Distillery and the Royal Lochnagar Distillery. I am not competing and we'll be doing it purely for fun and the scenery and hopefully some technical riding.

Does anyone happen to know what the riding is like compared to the C2C? Is it more technical? What would be the best time to do this? How can I avoid midgies?

All tips are welcome :D

Sounds like fun.

I haven't done either of the rides, but have ridden some of the terrain you are looking at in the Cairngorms. A lot of the trails will be pretty rocky, but from the looks of it you will get quite a mix of trail types.

The North York moors can be pretty bleak in the wrong weather, but I think the Cairngorms could probably top them, and the weather can change very quickly, so obviously you have to be prepared for that.

Which brings us on to the midges. They don't like bright strong sunshine, and they don't like winds above 10mph, so if you can guarantee those conditions then you will be fine. :LOL: Otherwise before mid May or after September would be your best bet to try and avoid them. Unfortunately that brings you into times when the weather can be worse. That said, I have had glorious weather days up there in March and November and terrible days in the middle of June! :LOL:

If it were me I would be starting out around the end of April, beginning of May. ;)

Also, I'm sure you will get some good advice on this thread from the MacRetro clan, but would also be worth asking in here as there are probably a few guys who have ridden it. ;)

Hah! I'm also thinking of doing this, indeed it could be a busy old place.

firedfromthecircus":1b9ldczp said:
Sounds like fun.

Otherwise before mid May or after September would be your best bet to try and avoid them.

Thanks for the tips! We were thinking about the first or second week in September. What do you think? Is this a good plan?

I've just send a registration mail for the bearbonesbikepacking forum. That was a good tip as well.

Must confess to a similar interest in this route or a variant of it.

I'd be tempted to consider April & May, it will be cooler, but importantly it should be drier. Also as it's cooler, the air's clearer making the views better. Just a personal opinion, built up from many a happy spring day in the hills & trails :D :cool:

GL fella

After drowning on the great glen way last september I'd agree with gmac - late spring is best.

Latest posts

Back