2014 National Events Planning Thread

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Hello All,

Drystonepaul, national events coordinator wants to create the calendar of National mtb and road rides for 2014.

So where do we have our National MTB run and when, if we choose to do so. There will only be 6 national rides in 2014 for mtb which is less than the number of area groups so someone won't be holding one. If attendance from non MacRetro riders were to reflect the 2013 attendance then I'd be happy not to bother this year. We could just do our own thing to which anybody could come and join us if they wished.
If we did though I'd go for a weekend with Pitmedden on a Saturday and Blairadam on a Sunday.
Whats the concensus ?
Same question etc as regards the Roadbike National but I'd be handing that over to a proper roady in our group as leading from very far at the back does not work for me or GMac/Hawmaw :LOL:

Cheers

Interesting.

Here's a thought. So far, it's looking like 10UTB is going to be the ride next year where we get the largest number of MacRetro riders coming out to play - we could promote it a bit more and extend the invitation out nationally, especially given the retro category. Only drawback would appear to be no more solo places I suppose. And the fact it's in the same weekend as Mountain Mayhem. Hmmm, thinking about it, maybe not. Don't think we can compete with that.

And having said all that, I do need to get off my arse and put a bit more structure around our 2014 rides.

My only concern with making 10utb as the national is that it's not as "intimate" as a dedicated macretro ride if yes know whit I mean. The thing I like about the national is the banter with lots of different folks which I think might get lost a bit on 10utb?

I think we should offer to hold a national similar to this years one, in a similar location, i.e. oop north. If it is felt by the management that it is too far to travel for those south of the border then we can just carry on and have it as our 'national'. Not too bothered whether it gets on the main calendar. This years ride was a cracker even though no-one came over the border for it.

My tuppence would be to forego the National as part of the National Series, when we tried to base it round the borders it was a bit of a compromise and when it was further afield it attracted no one south of the border but looked the most spectacular yet( in more ways than one!). So have the national as we do best, big country epic and try to avoid our neighbouring area big events, maybe even make the effort to attend one en masse. The reason for last years still stands I think, if anyone has ever wanted to ride in Scotland proper then heres the chance, but I don't think its enough to merit inclusion in the NS.

Yer all too far away, it's hard enough for us in the top half of England to get people to come from down South. It's too hilly for 'em.

If it's not a ride on the Southern Side of Peaks, they're not bothered. Unfortunately it's got to the point of the Northerners (of England) that if they can't be arsed to come up here then we can't be arsed to go down there.
They need to be made into weekend events (Fri Night - Sunday) to warrant the time, the travel and expense.

I've a feeling we'll not bother as well as may as well just do them as and when it suits us since it's only us that turn up to them ;) (bar the few southerners.... well midlands people :LOL:)

FluffyChicken":2c49a430 said:
Yer all too far away, it's hard enough for us in the top half of England to get people to come from down South. It's too hilly for 'em.

If it's not a ride on the Southern Side of Peaks, they're not bothered. Unfortunately it's got to the point of the Northerners (of England) that if they can't be arsed to come up here then we can't be arsed to go down there.
They need to be made into weekend events (Fri Night - Sunday) to warrant the time, the travel and expense.

I've a feeling we'll not bother as well as may as well just do them as and when it suits us since it's only us that turn up to them ;) (bar the few southerners.... well midlands people :LOL:)

True enough. Every time I've looked at going to a northern England ride (Peaks, Yorks, Lakes) I end up deciding it's just too far to go even though I would really like to! :oops:

I still like the option of being able to go though, even if it's never gonna happen. :LOL:

To that end I don't see the problem with all areas organising a National that suits the locals, and if non-locals turn up then more the merrier. I wouldn't want our main ride to be sanitised (for want of a better word) just so southerners, who probably won't make it anyway, can come. I'd still like them to feel welcome if they can though IYSWIM. And I think that is best achieved by the ride being a 'National'. ;)

So consensus to bow out of the UK National series this year but have one big epic Scottish National at a time and place of our choosing thats open to any retrobiker to attend.

If this is what you want to do, let me know and I'll tell Paul.

velomaniac":oqcvdsvj said:
So consensus to bow out of the UK National series this year but have one big epic Scottish National at a time and place of our choosing thats open to any retrobiker to attend.

If this is what you want to do, let me know and I'll tell Paul.

Sounds right to me.

Back