Arran Road Circuit - Saturday November 2nd

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I note that the last official Retrobike Road Series run of the year is November 2nd in the Cotswolds which for us in MacRetroland is very far away. Since Mr Pandas Road Run Reprise is looking unlikely to occur I thought maybe trying to kickoff a return to Arran for early November might be an idea. The road circuit is 55 miles, has a good selection of hills and flats, good scenery and quiet roads and the bonus of a ferry ride it might be good to do again. Plus its close to the central belt and being in large chunks close to sea level, unlikely to suffer from extremes of weather other than fog/wind/rain, normal Scottish lowland climate in fact.

It has of course been done before in 2011, see aftermath thread : viewtopic.php?t=155104

Saturday Timing
For anyone leaving from Glasgow

There’s a train from Glasgow Central at 08:34, arriving at Ardrossan at 09:20 in time for the 09:45 ferry. Check-in is at least 10 minutes before departure, it looks like the cost is £11.05 return, and the bike goes for free. Car parking is not expensive (less than £5 for the day?)

You can take the precaution of leaving a bag of dry clothes etc. in the "Left Luggage" at Brodick Ferry terminal, at a cost of £1 per bag. Walking around and climbing stairs on the ship in cycling-shoes can be tricky, and uncomfortable in wet clothes (said he, optimistically).

Return ferry time is: Brodick leave 16.40 (17.35 Ardrossan arrive) Train 18.00 for Glasgow 18.44

"Just in case" later ferry leaves
Brodick 19.20 (20.15 Ardrossan arrive) Train 20.31 for Glasgow 21.14 but hopefully we wont need this one

I'm not proposing a strict retrobike ruling, ride what you like, I have a hybrid that needs an airing.

I propose either 2nd/3rd/9th/10th of November, weather and sea conditions permitting.

If interested post up and state preffered date.

Cheers :D

Re: Arran Road Circuit - Early November

Can't do the 9th but so far everything else is clear for me

Start new job in Aberdeen on 4th Nov so unsure of availability - probably nil. It is a nice route though :D

Never mind Mr P, welcome to the North East.

The 2nd for me Velo.
Lets get this organised and firmed up ;)

Jamie

Make that 3! Enjoyed it the last time, and those basturt midges will be deid an aw.

Re: Arran Road Circuit - Early November - 2nd Nov Probably

no bike and in edinburgh that day but have fun lads :D

Re: Arran Road Circuit - Early November - 2nd Nov Probably

Working on the 2nd and I dont have any time in the book.
Pity as it has been my intention to get over to Arran this year either with the road bike or mtb but it hasn't happened.

Latest posts

Back