Loch Ericht/Ben Alder

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Some photos from yesterday.......will do texty stuff later. Culra bothy is good, very good in fact - seems popular with bikers and walkers. I didn't stay there but had a look round to check facilities. 3 good sized bedrooms with fires, tea/coffee making facilities and "house channels" :shock:

Possibly the best bothy I've seen in terms of layout and capacity.

Need to study maps and see what routes are available :twisted:

Plenty bikes around but I suspect most were using them to access remote hills rather than doing specific cycling trips - which reminded me this is precisely why I started mountain biking in the first place - to get into the middle of nowhere within an hour or so, do a couple of hills and ride out :cool:

pics:

Notice the very slightly akimbo left side lamp, not fully located in its socket :facepalm:

Entrance to Ben Alder Lodge

Beinn Bheoil, Ben Alder and Carn Dearg behind Loch Pattack

This bridge is well bouncy. Notice the missing left side lamp, which I didn't spot until 20mins or so after this :( Had to go back and search which wasted valuable time. Found it a few miles back along the track :D

Spotted this MF Courier hidden in the shrubbery but couldn't get any closer as the bar ends were scaring me :D

Sgurr Iutharn

Top of the NE Ridge looking back to access route from Dalwhinne which follows the shore of Loch Ericht then cuts across in front of the two forestry plantations to Loch Pattack then follows the river to Culra Bothy, which is just visible in middle distance approx 50m right of the gleaming shed roof

The joys of cliff-edged plateaux - cloud dropped 1000ft 5mins after I took this :shock: Map - check. Compass - check ;)

Two wheeled machinery is common here - Bealach Beithe and Loch a'Beithe. Kinda wet in places but probably akin to Sligachan Glen in terms of awkwardness although less rocky.

Ascent was by RH skyline - pretty straightforward even though it was windy

Glad I brought me lights :xmas-big-grin:

Got back to bike at 9pm and cycled the 12miles to Dalwhinnie out in beautiful BLT lit darkness :cool:

Slept in car at Creag Meagaidh for two hours and got home at 3:20am to find daughter's party in full swing :D

highlandsflyer":29ww0w74 said:
Very cool.

I am heading over Corrieyairack in a couple of weeks, have you been over lately?

Last time was around 3 years ago - the zigzags and track out to Melgarve and Garva Bridge were hellish rough, much more so than previous years. Think dried up river bed. Even Rob didn't like it :shock:

However, I hear its been seriously ironed out recently with a much smoother surface which prob takes away some of the fun but undoubtedly makes onward progress easier.

Mr Panda":26ojdv95 said:
However, I hear its been seriously ironed out recently with a much smoother surface which prob takes away some of the fun but undoubtedly makes onward progress easier.

Absolutely :?

RobMac":254obg5a said:
BTW Panda whit the fecks with the tyres on the Kona you slack jawed faggot :mrgreen:

Shaddap you!

Special high traction slicks which I needed to pull out the bogged down timber forwarder :p

Actually the track is is smooth until the last few miles - so slicks at 60psi were fine

I will quite happily do this again if anyone wants to do a cycle/walk expo :xmas-big-grin:

Perhaps even a bothy night out if ya wanna :D

Back