Aviemore National Meet Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Had a wee thought, next months are big Aviemore national meet and yet I get the impression there will be no reconaisance or rehearsal of said meet/ride. Infact the whole subject seems to have fallen dowen the back of the sofa.
If its going ahead, i should point out the Aviemore YHA is fully booked fror the 25/26 May, Aviemore Bunkhouse is nearly booked out and thus other than Rothiemurchus campsite and rough camping, the budget options are already practically gone.
A standard offpeak return from Edinburgh on the Train is £56 approx and cheaper deals are starting to disapear so if I dont book soon I'll be dependent on one of you guys to drive me up.
Basically I think we might be leaving this rather late for over a Bank Holiday weekend, time to start getting organised.
Just saying.........

So ZZ, are you confident you can lead us around the two routes we seem to have agreed on for Saturday and Sunday.
Should all DEC's going equip themselves with apropriate OS maps of the right scale for the area.
Do we need any recon of the route in the flesh.
What are we doing accomodation wise etc

Checking in on this one...

I think the weather has held up any recon plans to be honest, as it has with the rest of life in general. Camping up there on a good year in the may bank holiday usually gets a dusting of snow too, (I've done it twice) The Glenmore campsite usually has loads of space at that time of year though, good facilities too.

I think all AEC's should carry an OS map and Compass or GPS for this run, would be hard to get completely lost on the route intended but not impossible. They should also have a basic first aid kit and know how to use it. With winter still being here a survival bag should also be carried by one of us, in case of injury.

Double checking, are we actually basing our ride from Aviemore as Glenmore campsites 7miles away at Loch Morlich while Coylumbridges campsite is only 2 miles away and cheaper plus a campsite exists in Aviemore but is pricier. Plenty room at Youth Hostel, Cairngorm Lodge, at Loch Morlich but Aviemore accomodation filling up.
As far as first aid kits and being versed in using them might it be a good idea to get a tutorial from someone in the know, I believe RobMac is first aid trained.
Also a wee bit of training in compas use and map reading might be in order as I've never done any of that. I presume tutorials are available on the internet.

stayed in both glenmore and rothiemurchus campsites, both excellent facilities.

i have a 4 man tent and a 1 man tent i can take.

i can take me + 1 in the car inc bikes and camping gear. if we irna camping i can take 2.

i've got a GPS, first aid kit and survival bag as we do a fair bit of hill walking. AsS you say Velo things will get busy and suggest we need to confirm numbers of people going then sort out accommodation ?

Should be no issue with numbers if campings the main plan but we need to let those who adamantly refuse to camp that they need to pull their finger out !

Drystonepaul wants to know what day we have decided for the main ride.
My thoughts:
Saturday 25th May main ride
Sunday 26th May additional ride.

Your thoughts please and quickly !

Hi chaps, maybe not the point yet but I'm having boxxerjr christened that day so won't make it..

Will catch you at GT/Inners in June if not before

Up for this but as i've mentioned before i absolutely can not stand camping so i'll be aiming for blasting up for the main ride day only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back