Frankenbike

jimihendrix

MacRetro Rider
So i built this Klunker/Bomber/Cruiser bike a few years ago for fun, used a cheap Barracuda Tia frame, wanted it as simple and stripped as possible so used a drum brake on the front and a coaster on the rear, single speed too.

klunkside.jpg

Was ok for a while but got tired of it's limited use, suppose i was expecting too much from it using it for Innerleithen and Glentress (and nearly killing myself :LOL: ) but even commuting on it was frustrating.

So i've been messing with this

SAM_0500.jpg

It's another Barracuda Tia frame, smaller at 16", plan to build it with Bomber Z5's, Hope mono mini brakes (A-Z plate on the rear), 1x9 gearing, wheels will be XTM756 hubs with Sun/Ringle D/H rims and fat (2.35 ?) tyres so it'll be a real Hot Rod build.

Paint will be something special as usuall :LOL:

Thing is, do you think i'm wasting my time throwing decent bits at such a cheap frame ?, wanting something i can hammer and abuse this year, also something different, quite like the style of this frame (it's a bit like a Corratec Bow) but predict the ride will be pretty dead :roll:

Go for it Mark, its possible that when you go for tyres that large that any frame characteristics are muted a bit anyway. Some well chosen contact points may give you the ride you desire as well as getting you into the ride position you want. A short(er) stem and maybe getting that saddle back a bit further would give it a bit of poke IMO. Cannae wait to see what you'll do with the paint :)

nice jimi, have you tried lower bars, having the your hands higher than the saddle must be tough on the rough stuff??

kaiser":3cr8oqvu said:
Go for it Mark, its possible that when you go for tyres that large that any frame characteristics are muted a bit anyway.

Ah, never realised that, i'll get on with it then :)

gmac123":3cr8oqvu said:
nice jimi, have you tried lower bars, having the your hands higher than the saddle must be tough on the rough stuff??

Na, the bars make it IMHO, riding position is roughly the same as the DH8 full susser i have (like a big BMX), not sure if the Brooks seat will stay though, it's a lovely thing, looks good and suits the build but hellish/impossible trying to get off the back of it on steep drops (never been a fan of dropping seat height), also restricts body movement on the tight twisty stuff.

jimihendrix":1c98x6b0 said:
not sure if the Brooks seat will stay though, it's a lovely thing, looks good and suits the build but hellish/impossible trying to get off the back of it on steep drops

aye, well, you wouldnae want to get one of yir nads stuck in those springs :eek: :( :shock:

I've got a matt black bmx stem I could give you Mark, fairly simple block design.

and flipping the clamp on that brooks would push it back an inch or so

The Ken":1awt8pap said:
I've got a matt black bmx stem I could give you Mark, fairly simple block design.

and flipping the clamp on that brooks would push it back an inch or so

If that's 1.1/8 A-head i'll definitely be interested :)

Damn it, i never even noticed the orientation of the seat clamp, was wondering how the last seat fitted better :roll: :LOL:

May just fit a Q/R seat clamp to keep the Brooks on the bike.

Going to start painting the frame next weekend, then i'll need to get the wheels built.

Will update this thread as i go :cool:

Got the paint for this sorted.

"Can you guess what it is yet" :)

SAM_0501.jpg

Being a dobber i did'nt prep the frame properly when i painted it black initially (it would have chipped off in big chunks, good paint on top of it would have been a waste of time) so i've had to spend ages stripping it all off :roll:

Also modified the cable guides on the top tube to suit a hydraulic hose but it does'nt show too well in the close up pic i tried to take.

SAM_0502.jpg

Nearly there though, should get the paintjob started tomorrow :)

Back