fork/stem puzzlement

Mr Panda

PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Hi chaps :D

The following is an extract from PM I've sent purchaser for what I assumed were forks suitable for 1" headset......

Sorry about this. I think there is a problem with the forks. When I was packing them up I was checking over and tried to place a stem into the steerer, but the steerer seems to narrow internally, so the stem won't go in

I tried a couple of stems designed for 1" headsets but no joy. Bear with me a moment while I try to find out what's going on. If I can't suss it you will get a full refund.

So they're obviously not std forks - can anyone advise if there was a narrower stem diameter around at some point? I seem to recall tales of maybe some Raleighs and others having a different diameter. I think it is a 1" headset but the internal diameter of the steerer is to narrow
:?

EDIT: note to self - piss poor spelling of the word "too" :roll:

tis off this bike .....

etive004.jpg

:?:

21.1mm internal diameter as shown in imperial by ZZ below is/was BMX standard before the invention of 28.6mm steerers. Extra wall thickness meant extra strength which it turned out was not really needed.

Raleigh never like to waste materials so the shed loads of 21.1mm steerer tube they had lying around needed used up and were fitted to their mtb's. Its unusual to see this on a welded Raleigh mtb as its usually only seen on their brazed models but weird stuff such as using solid rod instead of tubing for seatstays has also been encountered. Raleigh never felt enhancing their reputation on their lower end stuff was needed :roll:

Latest posts

Back