What to do , what to do!

jonnymcenroe

Beating Jimmy Connors
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hallo MacRetro.

The good news is, the missus has given me the green-light to keep all my bikes at the house and is in fact, actively encouraging this :thumbs:

The bad news is i want to sell 1 or 2 to make way for a 'better' more 'modern' bike.

So...... how do i cull things?!

I currently have 2 XC bikes built and intend to build a 3rd; the 3rd being the only one i'm sentimentally attached to, and a 4th 'play' bike.

My RM - heavy-steel but tidy asides a top-tube ding LX/XT/Mavic/Judys
My Mongoose - light bonded Aluminium with scrappy paint LX/XT/Mavic/Rigid
My Marin - laquer failing but i love it. Most parts for the build but wheels are on Mongoose and shifters are on RM :?

I also have most of the parts to build my Hardrock '08 but unsure of Avid bb5 brakes and if SS is a good idea.

Mongoose needs work to be road-worthy (dodgy headset sticking and needs a few things fitting) Marin is bare frame (which i'd like stripped polished and laquered (how much?!)as is the Hardrock however i have around 70-80% of the components for both. As well as a coupla frames which need everything and a lot of work.

What do i do here!??

Does this retro-bike thing ever stop?!!!!!!!!

Projects can take over leaving very few actual rideable bikes, which is the whole point. Very easy to get caught up with what you "could" do and what you realistically will do.
From what you've said you need to keep the Marin and the parts for it even if they are on other bikes. Get it built and worry about the polishing later. Then choose which of your frames you'd most like to keep. Between all your projects it sounds like you have enough parts for another full build. Then go through you spare parts and frames and keep rare/expensive items and those you're likely to need and sell the rest. Anything else will be easy to pick up again if you ever need them.
Hopefully this will give you enough funds to proceed with the build you want.

Thanks for the reply - sound advice, the Marin is my only concern however that will be for light use only and i'd like something which I can thrash i.e.
the Hardrock... Having just built my other two i'm reluctant to move them on so soon without really getting a chance to ride them!!

Thanks again.

Sensible to have a thrasher but remember its better to have a couple of bikes you ride than a dozen you don't.

Back