Pros of cycling through a city with a child attached to you

jonnymcenroe

Beating Jimmy Connors
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
??

Are there any?!

Apologies if any of you have or do attach children to your bike whilst cycling in town, i'm just overwhelmed with contempt all of a sudden. :s

<deep breath>

It gives me the fear when I see it. Especially people with trailers.

When you think about how often cars get rear ended in city traffic especially. If people don't notice a car they won't notice a trailer, even with a 2m high flagpole on the back.

Great on trails etc on holiday for people with kids though.

Did it for over 6 years, used the seat on back type affair, very visible.

The Pros -
It is good for the environment, and gets them out of the car.
Gives the child confidence at speed.
Is lots of fun for them (Faster Daddy Faster!).
You can cut through parks and take scenic routes (although the 35mph downhill was their preferred route)

The Cons -
They get the occasional kick in the face as you get on/off the bike.
Slightly unstable, especially at lower speeds.
Most drivers don't give you extra room.
Fear of crashing/accidents, although none actually happened.

All my kids made it through, one even progressed to a trailer bike "and liked it when cars came close" (I didn't - it was very unstable when they moved around)

Main reason was their nursery was a 25/30 minute walk for their little legs and was on route to my work - 7 minutes by bike including loading up at the start.

If we all stopped riding on the road because of the behaviour of a few drivers they will win.

had this very same discussion (with my other half and in my head).
i tried my 2 year old out in a bike seat last weekend in the back garden of his grandad's house.
he loved it (there are a few 'tunnels' to go through :p ), so i've borrowed a bike seat (attaches to the seat tube and perches out back behind me).

my worry is, i live in Brighton, and although there are some lovely routes around - all of them involve a road route to get to.

i completely despise cars (this is a recent revelation) - they turn people into wildly arrogant beasts...anyway, it just leaves me short of confident in regards to taking my son out for a quick cycle around the block and on to some nicer trails.

also, going to need to get him a helmet....anyone recently got one for their 2 year old or there abouts? anything i should look out for?

A helmet with good rear coverage at that age is a good idea - nothing that sticks out too much either as it might be awkward against the seat back. Make sure it is light too, a skate helmet will be too heavy for a little head.

Like these....
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/met-elfo-kids-helmet-2012/
met-elfo-helmet-12-bluegecko.jpg

Although my son (does not use a seat now) has one of these....
http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/products/ ... ds-helmets
RK22_croc.jpg

zigzag":oppkakve said:
They're missing a trick not making those dino helmets in adult sizes.

Hmmmm. I'll be back................... :oops:

EDIT:

My helmet. My lawnmower. Not normally used together.......

DSCF2261.jpg

:p

Back