What is there to do on Arran?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
We're coming up to Scotland during half term week next June.

We're looking for islands or beaches/coastline. Something for the young kids, ideally not too far north, so probably looking Oban southwards.

Hoping to stay in a youth hostel or similar where the kids might find other kids to play with.

Got any recommendations? :D

SYHA Lochranza on Arran :D

Arran is Scotland in minature, you get mountains, lochs, beaches, forests.
There's a distillery, brewery, golf courses, putting greens and crazy golf, mountain biking, boats one of which is the ferry from Ardrossan to get there. Loads to see loads to do there is even red squirrels. Plenty pubs and restaraunts and its just great, highly recommended ;)

velomaniac":2pvx7am8 said:
SYHA Lochranza on Arran :D

Arran is Scotland in minature, you get mountains, lochs, beaches, forests.
There's a distillery, brewery, golf courses, putting greens and crazy golf, mountain biking, boats one of which is the ferry from Ardrossan to get there. Loads to see loads to do there is even red squirrels. Plenty pubs and restaraunts and its just great, highly recommended ;)

great recommendation :cool:

Mr Panda will know about the oban local.

Oban YH has just had a £1.5M refit and is apparently very good indeed :cool:

Local Beaches - average but ok, the best one's being further north. Especially Mallaig, Gruinard Bay and Caithness.........

That said, the one outside Kaiser's house isnae bad :p

SYHA Lochranza has been done up too, very impressive and very plush. Youth hostels are a long way from what I first started using in the 80's. No more the sheet sleeping bag, creaking old bunkbeds, self catering only, strict curfew and doing tasks around the hostel as part of the deal. You get alcohol licence, prepared meals, on suite facilities, internet etc :shock:

I miss the old ways but time moves on and so must I :roll:

Arran's great but I'd go a wee bit further and head for Mull. Great family island, but not sure about the YH I'm afraid.

Resurrecting this - Arran it is, so what else is there to do there? :D

We're going with another family so hopefully kids will entertain each other.

[edited title of thread to reflect change of direction]

Back