Hope brake experts in da hoose ?, Eck ?, Dyna ?, Eh ?

jimihendrix

MacRetro Rider
Right, at the end of my freakin, frickin, featherin rag with the brakes on the DH8 :x

They are Hope Mono6 with Goodridge hose and Finish line fluid.

Story goes, they were working reasonably well when i got them, fitted the Goodridge hoses and bled with the Finish line mineral fluid, they were then ok, not fantastic (as i imagined six pots would be :roll:), bike was hardly used over the winter, brake levers slowly started to seize/stick, bought seal kits from CRC last week (genuine Hope kits), was feeling flush so i splashed out on a full set of gold Scintered Hope pads, spent two hours in the kitchen on it last night, fitted the seal kits (very fidly), fitted new pads, bled the brakes with the Finish line, got them working ok, job done, i thought ?

Down in the kitchen thismorning levers are sticky again :roll:, WTF :?, removed the top cap on one and the seal is swelled up and distorted, i imagine this is whats happened to the seals on the piston in the cylinder causing the stickyness ?.

Any ideas ?, could the Finish line fluid be causing this ?

Need to get it sorted soon, was in love with the bike last night, cant stand the sight of the thing now, feel like cutting my losses, getting shot as is :roll:

I thought Hopes need dot 4/5.1? I do know you can get manuals from hopetech.com if that's any use?

I might not be the best to listen to, what with my success at bleeding hydraulics though...

As far as I know Hope have always used Dot fluid, all the Hope brakes I've used were Dot anyway.

Quite often the fluid required is marked on the reservoir cover of the master cylinder

Double check with the manual if you can find it online, or hopefully someone who owns those exact brakes will know 100% for sure

Just checked, you are both right, cap says Dot 4-5.1, small print on Finish line bottle says not compatible with Dot fluids :(

Looks like it'll need to be new seals and Dot fluid, hope i have'nt damaged the seals in the calipers :roll:

What would you rather use as a pressure transmission medium to make your brakes work. BRAKE fluid or cooking oil?*

* for me the clue is in the name. ;)

To be fair,

Mine are bled to perfection and Im really underwhelmed with the initial bite and power from my 6 pot hopes too :?

Thinking of going proper modern and geting Saints :oops:

G

Enid_Puceflange":k2lsrjxq said:
To be fair,

Mine are bled to perfection and Im really underwhelmed with the initial bite and power from my 6 pot hopes too :?

Thinking of going proper modern and geting Saints :oops:

G

wait til you've try'd mine ;) bet your running those cheapo sintered pads :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

big.eck":3cj29l38 said:
wait til you've try'd mine ;) bet your running those cheapo sintered pads :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Probably :oops:
Same pads that came on them when i swapped for my M4's for the 6's

What you got fitted to yours Eck? :?

G

Back