Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:01 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531 ... 560  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:28 pm 
MacRetro Deputy AEC
MacRetro Deputy AEC

RobMac wrote:
Its the length of the forks (or head angle) that makes a bike slack not the stem.

Aye ok Dad but a shorter stem helps sharpen the steering.....get into 2017 ffs lol.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

keithyr wrote:
RobMac wrote:
Its the length of the forks (or head angle) that makes a bike slack not the stem.

Aye ok Dad but a shorter stem helps sharpen the steering.....get into 2017 ffs lol.

Rob is used to a slack rear end.

All this modern stuff is new to him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 pm 

Managed to upload a couple of pics for something else and managed to stick a couple from yesterdays ride on.
It was a good ride round the coast but the wind, which ramping up all afternoon, was great on the ride out but when heading back along the high road it was about a 25 mph headwind, full on in the face. The pace slowed until just near Canisbay I pulled into a layby on the singletrack road to let a smallish tractor past that had slowly been catching me up. It kept my mind off the wind as I raced from passing place to passing place to stay ahead. Anyway once past me I thought he's not going too quick, so I quickly pushed to catch up and then proceeded to draft along right up behind it for the next few, maybe four kilometres to almost home, sitting on a steady 34kph. A step up from the sub 20kph I could just manage in the wind. The old guy driving pointed to ask if I wanted round, I just pointed to the back of the tractor and gave the thumbs up, and with taking his thumbs up reply as his consent, I moved up to about a foot off the back and proceeded to roll along. I only lost the draft about a third of the way up the hill near home.
All good fun.

Jamie

Image2 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Image4 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Image5 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

There is no hiding from the wind on these roads :)
Image6 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

It was coming back along this section of road that I was behind the tractor. You can see the grass is already blowing over in this pic.
Image1 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Image3 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

Jamie how do you get along with the Brooks?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:06 am 

I like the Brooks. This one is just over a year old now and not that many miles really but it's comfortable already.
I have had the black one on my Trucker for a long time and it is great as well. I was dubious about all the hype and I was for a long time until I did a few long days in the saddle and my backside was fine. Like one of the days when I was away for the tour in August, it rained, was sunny, then it poured and I was soaked through to the core, then it dried out and I climbed the Struei near Bonar Bridge, I think I did about 130klm or so fully loaded from Tongue down to Brians at Dingwall, but not during or after did I even think about my backside feeling sore or tender, nothing at all. If I don't notice it then it must be doing it's job.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 am 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

One last question, what model is that on the Mercian?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am 

Both of mine are standard B17 models.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:03 am 
Retro Guru

Nothing like sitting close in behind a tractor for a few miles to make you feel a lot fitter than you actually are! Sadly virtually all the farms around here have flashy modern tractors now and they're much faster than they used to be :( Even if I manage to catch them / keep up with them, it's a bit too fast for comfort in case there's a sudden stop... (that was rarely a problem in the old days as their brakes were usually even worse!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Now Jamie has mudguards on his Mercian, I can think of a few good "road" rides so he can get his money's worth out of them... :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:10 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Brian classes a 'proper' bike as something like an old sit up and beg roadster bike with hub gears. I class a 'proper' bike as something like that beautiful Mercian Jamie pilots around 8)

Today I seen something that made me smile, a 'proper' bike. A Philips lugged steel roadbike, which is just a low end hi-tensile steel Raleigh with a Philips badge but this one had been seriously breathed on. Full Shimano 105 groupo with Miche hubs, Cinnelli stem and other bits of Italian loveliness. Polished to perfection with a glorious deep red metallic paint scheme. Sows ear to silk purse and worth every bit I'm sure. Wish I'd had a camera :D

Current health letting me down and not been out on my bikes at all but as long as all that cycling eye candy exists I can still smile in appreciation 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530, 531 ... 560  Next