Help Needed - Two weeks in Scotland - Suggested Routes

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning All,

Mrs LMTTM and I are thinking of a road trip this year.

2 weeks in duration taking in as much of Scotland as is possible.

Less whistle stop tour and more taking in the sights - B&B accommodation etc

Thinking a mixture of country/town and with plenty to do with the dogs.

Sadly don't think I could get my bike in the car :(

We would be driving up from East Anglia (if that makes a difference :LOL: )

We would very much welcome any suggested routes also suggestions on time of year?

All help much appreciated :cool:

Cheers,

MArk

no bike and bringing the dogs

you could do a lot worse than to head for aviemore , inverness ,down the great glen then over to skye ,back to fort bill ,then down to oban ,loch lomond ,weege ,ayrshire coast then back across the border

skye is definatley worth a visit for unspoiled wilderness and inverness
is a cool place for a night out

I 2nd Mikee's suggestion except for the weej(Glasgow) bit though its difficult to avoid. Go to Aviemore though via Edinburgh, Perth etc as theyre all worth a look ;)

Either way, loads of driving but outwith the central belt the sceneries worth it.

I 3rd Mikee's suggestion. Spent a lot of time in Inverness and done all the above. Highly recommend it Mark. ;)

You need to factor Applecross into your trip. Stunning drive over and a great pub when you get there. Also Sutherland isn't visited enough by people coming to Scotland.

The fact Sutherlands the back end of nowhere might have something to do with it. Mind you if you like acres of blasted heathland then its among the finest in the world.

I like it, its just so far away :(

+1 for Skye. Some west coast island hopping should probably be done too, but I'll let other more knowledgable folk make the recommendations, although Arran is most excellent.

Also, it probably doesn't need saying, but make sure you drive through Glencoe to/from Ft William, etc.

Surely you can have a day off and fit in a jaunt with Macretro on a borrowed bike? :D

road trip

I thoroughly recommend a trip through Dumfries and Galloway if you can make it!! Great roads, superb scenery, lots of forest's and day hill walks, plenty of accommodation places and plenty little towns and villages with lots of character.

If you decide to go here, pm me for more info and specific route guides, places to stay/eat etc.

Cheers

Greig. :cool:

GMC's right, its an area of great beauty not visited much by the tourist hordes and it does have several of the 7stanes mtb centres. However the highlands are the world famous bit so you'd best see that as a priority ;)

Back