Heavyweight new member seeking bike advice.

Bullpup

Senior Retro Guru
Good evening

Having just introduced myself on the general MTB chat forum I am taking RobMac's advice and am introducing myself here as well.

I am a former prop forward who has run significantly to seed in need of a heavy duty bike that will enable me to charge round the countryside in hot pursuit of my hyperactive children. The aim is that by the end of the Winter I will be the one out in front.

Like most modern cars, modern bikes do nothing for me so I am hoping that this forum can give me some recommendations regarding older bikes that will be suitable.

All advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Come in! Come in! Make your self at home, its a bit late so most of the youngins (read lightweights) will be heading for bed ;)
But give them time you'll get what you need here.

Rob

welcome to the site :D

i'm quite a big guy too and i tend to stick to dh bikes but i've been trying to get into xc for a while now , i'll get some pictures up tomorrow (photobuckets playing up just now :( )

i have a progear , worldforce vr1 and an old raleigh massif . i guess any frames ok as long as it's built up with good tough parts :D

I'll start so here goes, 13 stone and a good wee bit......

I would have thought that any non racing pedigree bike (lightweight tube set) would be fine given you're not going to hit some large jumps/drops, what is your budget and we could all chip in our suggestions.

you could do a lot worse than a early nineties hardrock/rockhopper/stumpjumper built to last and a great frame with some added risers up front for comfort.

Thanks for starting the ball rolling.

Talking about sizes I am 6' with 30" inside leg so what size frame do I need please?

Regarding budget I hadn't really thought about it - I don't know what I need to spend to get somehing suitable. In my ignorance I had thought of either buying a suitable bike in need of tlc but hopefully at least useable and upgrading replacing tired components as I progressed or indeed buying a suitable old frame and then raiding the Bike Station unless there is a better alternative source. In many ways I am trying to satisfy 3 aims with 1 purchase - get fit, play with the children and a project to tinker / do up.

19 inch frame would be my guess but top tube length can be just as important and this can vary from frame to frame.

If I were you, I'd settle on a budget put a wanted add up for a full working bike and see what you are offered and go for the best looking one ;)

You can ride it, see if it feels good and upgrade if you like it, or if it is wrong you can sell on for the same dosh and get another. I'm on bike number 27 after 2 years on this site :oops:

if you want something strong get a GT hardtail an ali one
cheap and easy to find ,there's usually some on gummtree
or robs got about 10 (and counting)

welcome BTW

dont go in the for sale section tho :LOL:

I actually have a Univega Alpina 500 that I have had from new and have just been giving a quick service. It has a 22" frame and RST 281 forks and unfortunately I have never really clicked with it ( and it has an uncomfortable saddle).

Given the advice above about using any good quality non-racing frame am I better off tweaking this by replacing the saddle and say forks? If so with what?

Back