Someone to polish my frame - Glasgow area

WorkInProgress

Retro Newbie
The Ken told me to pop over here, I'm looking for someone in the Glasgow/Renfrewshire area to polish my frame.

Does anyone know of anywhere that would do it?

And by way of an introduction, I'm Rob from Johnstone

Don't know of anyone rob not fancy doing it yourself? I did a dale and even given it was a lot of work it was well worth it.

Welcome hope to see you at glentress or at one of our regular meets. :D

Is it as simple as using a metal polish? I'd read somewhere on a car forum that I had to use coarse to fine grades of wet and dry to achieve a really good finish.

I can give it a go, particularly if it saves me some money that I can spend on other goodies for the bike!

Yeah progressive grades, I used Brillo pads and found them very good, kaiser sent me a very good synopsis of the process but I have lost it, the bugger is having to keep polishing it arrrgh.

Hi Rob, what kind of frame is it? Has it been painted previousley and what state is it in just now? To answer your lacquer question its generally down to preference, lacquer will provide a minimal protection against the elements but after a while it will look pretty crap, it will also dull the finish slightly. Leaving it bare ersed will give a better finish but one that requires a certain amount of upkeep. There are some stages where you can find a happy medium. Whtever you do don't get it media/sand blasted, it'll just create a whole load of work and if someone else is doing it ££££. I don't think any of us have used a metal finisher for polishing but this is who you'd google. If you want to have abash yourself, post a pic and I'll try to give you some pointers :)

good bit of work needed just to strip her mate, I would be tempted just to powdercoat esp if you are going to use the bike.

Indeed, thats what would happen again if you lacquered it and car lacquer isn't as tough as a factory finish. I'd recommend

Nitromors to strip the old lacquer
Scrub with either a brillo pad or some scotchbrite pads and soapy water and even try to get the fine maroon coloured pad.
Any deep scratches may require some emery paper, work up to a 2000grit.
If all is fine and uniform use some autosol and some elbow grease
You can finish off with some meguairs NXT polish which gives a protective coating but doesn't loose the shine.
If you want to miss the megs stuff try some regular car polish to protect
If you don't relacquer you'll have to polish now and again to keep the frame looking good.

its quite labour intensive, but not too hard to acheive a good result and it is satisfying :D and questions stick em in here and we'll try to help.

Back