Recommendations for rides in Dumfriesshire (9th/10th Oct)

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Some of you are aware, 3 of us from the East Midlands are planning an incursion into MacRetroland on the weekend of 9th/10th Oct.

We are staying near Dumfries and were going to have a go at some of the 7 Stanes. I have personally done Drumlanrig (I know it's not a 7 Stane) and Mabie before and will certainly be doing Drumlanrig this time round as well.

However we thought we might do 2 Stanes in one day - on the Saturday and a bigger Stane on the Sunday.

What way round would you guys do it? We are reasonably fit, are up all weekend and have lights and may not even be riding retro although I am hoping to be on my Proflex 855

Any other recommendations - bear in mind we don't want to drive loads of miles as it's 5 hours just to get there friday night :shock: :D

Thanks for yout thoughts :D

I'd go for a Kirroughtree day and a Drum/Dalbeattie day. Since you've been to Mabie and tbh Ae isn't really up to much. Kirro and Glentress are on par IMO offering different things but both lots of fun. I choose Kirroughtree simply for distance.

Dumfries

I know you're thinking of doing the 2 stanes in one day?

But i'm from Drumfries, and another suggestion would be this, you say you've been to Mabie, but Mabie is a whole lot more than the red route!! And also you can easily link Mabie and Dalbeattie together to make 1 giant stane loop? or you could have a big day out at Mabie taking in Trosten Forest, Shambellie wood and even Bilsons's Link And if you want more then you stick in a few miles of road work and pick up the coastal path which will drop you into Kippford and then on into Dalbeattie Forest.

Drumlanrigg is good but it's killer tree routes and not really much in the way of descents? Yes it's technical but unless you have a good map of the estate you're going to be left short changed after just doing the way marked routes?? (if you're intent on going speak to Rik at the shop prior to starting and he can point you in the direction of some other trails in the estate)

Ae forest is a different beast, the red route is not too bad, but poor weather can reduce this into cycling in a burn for the most part?? The route has more climbing than it does descents. But otherwise it is mostly big fire road trails.

Kirroughtree is superb and well worth the journey out there. Again get a decent map and you can easily add on loads of other trails.

Glentrool is mostly fire roads, but in saying that you can easily link up with some cracking cross country routes through the hills.

But if you have limited time and want the best riding for your money then spend a good day at Mabie where you can combine the best bits of the red along with classic single track like the deer fence and up over the highest point in Mabie which now has about another 10+ miles of trails predominantly natural single track and well worth finding out.

Then spend day 2 at Dalbeattie and take in the coastal loop as well.

Cheers

Greig.

GMC I'd be interested in hearing about that Mabie/Dalbeattie loop. I'd still say Kirroughtree above all else though.

Mabie/Dalbeattie

to link Mabie and Dalbeattie together you can do the following:

1) head through Mabie and onto Trosten Forest, then dip down into Shambellie Wood.
2) when you come out of Shambellie turn right on the Beeswing Rd then head along the road for about a mile maybe not even.
3) then turn left at Fishery and go up and over Bilson's Link
4) when you come out at the bottom of Bilson's link turn right on to the Solway Coast road and go down the road for about a mile and into Southwick
5) then turn right onto the B793 and this will take you nicely into the Dalbeattie 7 stanes.

Bilson's link is about a 4 mile climb up the fire road and then you go over the top for a couple of miles and then about a 3-4 mile decent of switchbacks all the way down!! Great fun.

Shambellie wood is all old single track and it's superb. Though to get to it through Trosten, go through Trosten taking the right hand fork when the fire road separates and then the fire road will peter out to single track, you'll come through a broken stane dike and join another sandy fire road, turn left here and follow the track for about a mile/mile and a half? then turn right (the turning will be on a left hand bend) and go up the hill, when you reach the top turn left and then go along for about 20 yards then turn right onto some classic single track!!!

anymore questions just ask!

Greig. :cool:

mabie/dalbeattie

yep any time you or any one else would like a guided tour of some of the hidden gems then by all means give us a shout! (though not for the next 2 weeks as i'll be in the USA/Canada!! lol)

that is the problem with the 7 stanes?is that it's a victim of it's own success?? as Mabie has a whole load more to offer but the masses just come and do the red route and go? but there is so much more on Mabie's doorstep to make a cracking day out.

Greig.

I enjoyed the red at Mabie :eek: so if theres some better stuff out ther I'd ;ove to see it :)

Back