to link Mabie and Dalbeattie together you can do the following:
1) head through Mabie and onto Trosten Forest, then dip down into Shambellie Wood.
2) when you come out of Shambellie turn right on the Beeswing Rd then head along the road for about a mile maybe not even.
3) then turn left at Fishery and go up and over Bilson's Link
4) when you come out at the bottom of Bilson's link turn right on to the Solway Coast road and go down the road for about a mile and into Southwick
5) then turn right onto the B793 and this will take you nicely into the Dalbeattie 7 stanes.
Bilson's link is about a 4 mile climb up the fire road and then you go over the top for a couple of miles and then about a 3-4 mile decent of switchbacks all the way down!! Great fun.
Shambellie wood is all old single track and it's superb. Though to get to it through Trosten, go through Trosten taking the right hand fork when the fire road separates and then the fire road will peter out to single track, you'll come through a broken stane dike and join another sandy fire road, turn left here and follow the track for about a mile/mile and a half? then turn right (the turning will be on a left hand bend) and go up the hill, when you reach the top turn left and then go along for about 20 yards then turn right onto some classic single track!!!
anymore questions just ask!