GT on Gumtree advice needed

afp401

MacRetro Rider
HI Guys
Could you have a look at this add for me please.

http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/21/61896021.html

What is a burly trail?
My web search skills have failed me!

As he says it is a custom combination are these decent components and are they likely to work well in combination with this frame?

From the pictures a web search brought up it seems that earlier models were rigid fork and as I understand putting suspension forks on that may not work that well although I don't understand why.

Can anyone Date this from the pic so I can google the original price and maybe post the specs on here and have some feedback if his custom specs are up or down graded from that.

Any opinions?

Many Thanks
Stephan

Burly means strong, it sounds ok spec wise but that frame was never designed to be a jump bike so check every where for cracks. The forks are also far too big for that frame so it will be difficult to ride uphill and feel a bit floaty downhill.
Price the forks and brakes online to get an idea what they go for second hand, the frame isn't that old looking at the graphics, and panteras are a lower model.

The Ken":2modgujw said:
The forks are also far too big for that frame so it will be difficult to ride uphill and feel a bit floaty downhill.

Thanks for that Ken.
I think I will give it a miss as I already got a project...

Stephan

i'd avoid it , looks abused plus the seatposts knackered so what does that tell you ?

what exactly are you looking for ?

big.eck":3hinsogi said:
i'd avoid it , looks abused plus the seatposts knackered so what does that tell you ?

what exactly are you looking for ?

Prinarily something that will do what we did in the Pentlands with out the sore wrists aftermath.

If that is not asking to much from one bike then somthing that will climb well but will still be robust enough to maybe start learning to do manuals, nose manuals, bunny hop stuff that is 30 to 50cm high and drop of things of maybe 50cm to table hight (I'm not ambitious at all am i?) would be a bonus.
Quality bike second hand for up £300-350 (but would prevere closer to 250 200 if that is realistic) can look crap but must fully functional and have the prospect of staying so if looked after. (in fact I prefer the looks of older bikes as they don't have the flying saucers/tuned car/motorbike look)

I'm hoping my Kona AA with original fork will be adequate but will probably take me months to complete as the bike station is only open 2 days a week... in fact i should be there working on it now :oops:

Thanks

Thanks for that,

One really has to keep watching this 24/7.

I Like the Cindercone if only it had front suspension.

Is it just me or does the caldera just look too good to be true at this price?
Will definetely go and see it if I can get hold of the guy...

Stephan

the caldera's gone :? no wonder at that price :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

could'nt you build a cheap bike for the pentlands from scratch at the edinburgh bike station ? with the parts there it could be done for about £150 for a good spec'd bike :D

i'm sure last time i was in there , there was a cinder cone for sale there ?

something will pop up , it always does :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe I have not got the eye for it but to me they have only trash.
They do have a cindercone but it has rigid forks, seems a bit small and they want £400...

I already got 2 projects one mountain and one street/commute.
I'm not planning to add another, I'm only really after a working bike bargain that I can ride for the summer and then sell for not much less (or if i like it better than the AA sell the AA project once complete)

Thanks for the input though!
Stephan

afp401":zmb5abm8 said:
Maybe I have not got the eye for it but to me they have only trash.
They do have a cindercone but it has rigid forks, seems a bit small and they want £400...

That sounds right. They are very expensive for complete bikes and frames now. But people keep paying the money as it is a charity.

Back