And today I did......

Re:

velo, just had a wee thought about a construction method for your wooden bike, stitch and glue using thin sheets of plywood sewn together with wire then glued with resin/tape along joints to make a monocoque bike. It works fine making boats/canoes but I suppose integrating metal BB and head-tube into frame would take some thought but it might be strong and reasonably light too.

Surely a seat post won’t be required if bb to seat is calculated and incorporated into construction?

Re: Re:

jimo746":xuulnm9g said:
I think a faux wood paint would be a good idea, all the aesthetics of wood, with the practicality of metal and plastic/carbon.

A bit like sticking a derailleur on yer bike and thinking it's still a bike instead of an infirmity aid? :)

I avoid threads like this mainly because I dont want to burst anyones bubble. But pin at the ready.

You'd need a dedicated workshop, probably 400 sq feet minimum and a bank of machinery, you probably dont own or have experience in using. In ply it wouldnt be a case of buying ply, but rather making it. Likely a vacuum press or even 50 clamps.
Huge amount of quality drawings showing every part and section, and possibly even be able to think in 3D. There you'd need a strong idea, very very well thought out, and through ands taking so much into account.
Big flat bench, 7 or 8' x 5 or 6'. Use of hand tools ,use of power tools, and a fair amount of money to be able to do such properly. Custom made jigs and fixtures, all of which you'd need to make to hand as required, and would have to be spot on accurate.
I avoid even thinking about this because i can understand how large the amount of detail is, and not just the overall impression, the fine detail, an understanding of wood, how it works, its strengths and weaknesses. Plus of metal, and a high degree of accuracy to be able to combine wood and metal, and not have things set in wonky or out of true.
And a lot of money.

It's the type of project you'd propose for doing a degree, so a planning stage of 3 or 4 years and a passion bordering on mental illness.

Good vid, very inspiring :cool: But you get the idea of the type of workshop and experience needed.
As luck would have it I am a furniture maker of nearly 20 years :D Shame i've only a tiny 120sqft workshop :(

Probably the reason metal is so good :LOL: and a one year part time course in bike building, you'd come out with something thats fit to ride, safe and to your own specification.

I think ,for myself, if I were to want to build a bike, it would be an Ebike frame, maybe based around an Orange, with it's box section, but it would probably be in alloy.

Re:

As usual everyone's taking this too seriously. Build a frame from wood that ideally survives one lap of an already silly event, that's all. There are numerous home bodged wood bikes on the Web that are not quality renovo hardwood bikes.
Nobody says this bike must be a cherished family heirloom of numerous years standing. One off road lap then into the sheds wood burning stove :LOL:

Why then not cut up one of those million cheap bikes you have and use 18mm plywood from B&Q ?
I could talk you through ways to mount the BB and headtube, dropouts and seat tube, but maybe stick to a proper fork, for the sake of safety.

Back