And today I did......

clubby":3havkbuq said:
dyna-ti":3havkbuq said:
No need to pen all that, I though the point on how many changes the industry has made in the last 10 years is astounding.

Been at home all day with a very awake toddler. A bit of debate is a nice change from reading the Wonky Donkey yet again!

Last ten years is no different to any other. Look at 88-98. Cantilevers and u-brakes to v brakes to hydraulic discs. Bolt on hydraulic mounts to Hayes specific mounts to IS mounts. 5 bolt vs 6 bolt rotors. Rigid to suspension forks, and even full suspension. 6 speed screw on to 8 speed cassettes. Riser bars to flat bars and back to riser bars. Mountain biking starting to fracture into xc and dh.

I think actually DH is outski, as I did hear on the grapevine most makers weren't going to field a DH option. More trail than anything, if anything an encompassing of disciplines :?
Admittedly there have been more changews, but what was needed. 6 becomes 7 because 7 was needed really :? or just another idrection to flog us something else.
5 to 6 bolt.
We've went from an alloy carrier to steel to alloy carrier again. They led the public down the path of saying solid steel rotors were better. Now they say the opposite.
And then theres peoples impressions of what theyre getting.
Read a thread on a lyrik damper. Should I get the latest damper ? To be frank, how much difference can that make in real life. Rebound is a smidgen faster, or slower or such. But would you actually notice, or is it just a placebo effect.

All in all there have been many advancements, but far too many if you ask me.

dyna-ti":1z3sr6xj said:
Read a thread on a lyrik damper. Should I get the latest damper ? To be frank, how much difference can that make in real life. Rebound is a smidgen faster, or slower or such. But would you actually notice, or is it just a placebo effect.

Riding through the streets of Glasgow, no.
Out in the mountains where the forks are taking hit after hit, yes. Good (plus properly set up) suspension can be the difference between making it through a section at speed or slowing right down to a crawl.

Certainly more difference than frame material, but I’d bet you’d say you can tell the difference between aluminium and titanium?

dyna-ti":1z3sr6xj said:
All in all there have been many advancements, but far too many if you ask me.

That’s fair enough, but no-one is forcing any of it on you. This site proves you can quite happily ride anything you want.

Nice choice :LOL: But shouldn't that be Steel and Ti ?, given the properties of both ti and steel are more flexible than alloy.

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":1nua9a8g said:
I would go for the Larry V’s Harry Bullitt.
I have been trying to save for the non e version for a while, then sell my Big Dummy. I was looking to pick up a frame in Copenhagen, ferry then ride the Dummy with sidecar and then back.
The Scottish government along with the Energy saving Trust Scotland are giving interest free loans for cargo bikes and e cargo bikes. Great long term deals.
Great Facebook group as well.
So yeah, Bullitt has been on my wish list for a long while so of course my recommendation.

Jamie

It is nice, and it is very much boutique individual company philosophy which we all like, but Im thinking actual use. Would I take this the 500m to the top of the road, or would I go manual.
Its the shape and position of the carrier. Im maybe more the traditionalist, and the versions like the tern or surly is more 'bike' shaped, and maybe more inclined to use itas the go to rather than one thats unwieldy and difficult to move out the flat, down the narrow close etc.

As such Im now leaning towards the Surly Big easy. Identical to your big dummy only E.
So whats the review of the surly now you've had it all these years ?.

jimo746":1rz7xd61 said:
Grips! I think they're breeding in the drawer!

I've a Sugino Tension Disc I should probably do something with, but who can build a wheel with this outdated technology these days?

Still available ? Im looking for one in good condition. I pay well

dyna-ti":s1x5dmz2 said:
...So whats the review of the surly now you've had it all these years ?.
I'll give you one.

I rode it from Jamie's to JoG. (Sounds epic but not that far really).

What I noticed about it was - it is a bike! Not some unwieldy contraption. I was prepared to make allowances for it, but none necessary. The only place I noticed its heft was trying to U-turn in narrow roads, but that was more lack of familiarity.

I haven't ridden it loaded though, but what impressed me is it isn't just a cargo bike, it's a perfectly cromulent daily rider.

Impressed enough that I tried to pry it out of Jamie's unwilling hands. :)

It's the laden bit im also interested in. Thats its function, so weighted, bound to have the same effect as with any laden or touring kit, and as haulage it the purpose, then that weight can be significant.
Currently I ride everywhere on the Cove(Dear Lord, modern geometry is fantastic.)
As such how you ride in town and how or what route you take are going to have to be different too. Certainly using a toe to propel yourself around a pedestrian(cycle) crossing is going to be trickier with a longer bike, possibly more difficult, and should while wheeling it have a pedal to the back of the leg propelling it around a bit, and likely engaging the motor. Horror show in the making.
So
So my urban journeying route wise will need to change and be less crow fly, as on the roads 90% of the time. Big hills too(Prospecthill Rd)
Something like the surly would be fine as its really long, but a tern or R&M and weight on the back is going to lift the front wheel.
This is where I think the R&M packster 40 is the better choice. :? The route would be changing so best maybe something that doesnt have lifting or or unbalanced when tilted(Tilting is what bikes are all about)
Thew packster is low weight, so no tilt issue, and no need to toe around anything as the route have changed to accommodate E riding style.

I was looking at the R&M packster or multicharger, but with the latter, it has a frame mounted front rack. the weight is on the front of the bike,and braking is going to cause dive, so seems a dumb place to mount a rack, especially if theres a limit of 15kg, thats a lot of weight :?.

I will do a later write up for you mate but laden, it handles fine, not what you would expect. The length and stability thats built into it belies the actual differing loads it can take. If you put a set of wideloaders on you can carry anything. We have towed wheelbarrows, carried heavy steel folding bed on one side, a huge terracotta plant pot filled with soil and a tree on the sidecar and all carried safely for miles. You have to load it with the weight in mind etc but I think these modern longtails would surprise you if you haven't ridden one.

Jamie

Re:

Finally after 12 years I relocated all my bike crap into my 3 sheds and converted one to my workshop complete with electric :shock:

Before anyone gets excited the workshop is the least dilapidated shed with the tallest roof so I can stand up. Had to rip out the rotten floor but discover a completely slabbed base, result, no need to replace floor, just stand on slabs :D
Electric is just extension cable from back door but maybe install armoured cable next year permanently in situ.
Badly needs budget insulation so will be wrapped in bubble wrap and tarpaulin and likely resemble a crustie tree huggers basha but it's cheap.

It's a strange but nice feeling to be able to work in an enclosed space dedicated to the task with all my tools near to hand :cool:

Henceforth my workshop shall be known as the Cunning Artificer Technical College, Department of Bodgineering.

Back