Gravel bike? Humbug, Scotland needs proper All Terrain bikes

Thanks Velo. I regard 42mm as skinny tyres. :)

I know about the V-brake extenders but I wasn't keen on the idea. They're cheap enough though. :)

I had a more cunning ploy which involved manufacture of new brake arms and many happy hours with a file.

However I found in Akenahten's tomb a set of Magura dropbar hydraulics, so I thought they'd do nicely.

Re:

Can’t Go far wrong with Maguras :D

How you going to get the hoses around the goolie graters ?

Re: Re:

jimo746":26glrd8q said:
Can’t Go far wrong with Maguras :D

How you going to get the hoses around the goolie graters ?

Probably involve a cut and bleed job. Preferably on the brake.

More fun with wheels today.

26" x 2.35" Super Motos on Weinmann 57mm rims. Too big - tyre comes out at 65mm width.

After a serendipitous find behind my shed, I pulled the wheels of an old Peugeot which has lain out for 10 years.

26" x 2.35" Super Motos on Alex 27mm rims (21 internal). About right - tyre comes out at 55mm width which leaves better clearance.

More wheel fun to follow, but 26" wheels look a goer. I'd prefer better rims, these are single wall. I've got plenty nice DTSwiss and Mavic but they're all too skinny. I suspect the ideal compromise between tyre width and tyre shape is about 25 -27mm internal.

Looks like there's spoke shortage, so wheel building may go on the back burner, and it'll be bodge time instead.

Trial fit with narrow rim at front.

Plenty clearance.

Looks like that's the size to go for front and rear. Wheels look better with shiny alloy rims anyway.

Meanwhile after further excavation, I found I had a pair of 40mm lightweight rims plus a Sun Ringle Big Mammoth Fat, but I think I'll stick with shiny alloy.

I'll have to build wheels though. That front hub is knackered.

Now if only I had a set of double wall rims instead of single wall...

And while I'm looking for pie in the sky, about 32-35mm is probably the optimum size.

Trial fit Magura dropbar hydros

I could make it work, but getting a wheel in or out without deflating the tyre would be a hassle. I don't like hassles.

I wonder should I make it rodbrakes... :)

Get the quick release mount for one of the brake posts. Undo one lever and remove one side of the Magura. The quick release kit I thought was standard equipment for Magura?

How often do the wheels need to come off though? If you get a flat, then the tyre will deflate itself and save you the trouble... :)

Latest posts

Back