Show us what you did today, thread

Well I can vouch for Epicyclo, as Heather, Caleb and I stopped off on our way home for a coffee and cake with Brian in Strathpeffer. I feel I rang him mid run and distracted him with the offer of cake. :LOL:
We, the family had spent the weekend camping and canoeing on Loch Maree. We drove down early hours of Saturday morning and were on the water bright and early. We didn't really commit to camping as we thought the area would be overrun with tourists especially as we were told a couple of the carparks had been shut, which would make parking up for the night and portaging the canoe difficult. I was smart enough, okay, Heather was, to pack the Trangia and camping gear just in case. We also had some fresh pasta and sauce and various sandwiches and all the things needed, chucked in the van.
We eventually parked up in the northern carpark as the others seemed to be shut or too far off the water.
We had the Old Town HW with us as it was to be her main celebratory paddle for her birthday. She was built during July/August 1920 which makes her 100 years old. We had hoped to have repainted her for the occasion but hopefully we will for next months trip. We had a scrape on a hidden rock just below the surface which once dislodged gave me a moment as I seen the white paint flaking off the top of it. Thankfully it hadn't gone through the canvas just the paint.
As usual she paddled perfectly, the whole design and shape is exactly suited to what we use her for and even when we decided we would camp overnight and had to paddle all the way back to load up and then head off again she was her usual poised self. You couldn't even tell we had put the picnic bag, tent, sleeping bags, stove, change of clothes etc into her as well as the dog.
One of those great weekends where things fall into place, weather people, water etc. The only issue was the fuc**g midges!!!! bar**rds!!
Saying that we did a lot of exploring scoping out new campsites and ate lunch on one island, dinner on another before setting up for the night on yet another. We ate beautifully and left this morning after an attack from the midges once the wind suddenly dropped.
We then met Brian on the way home to finish off a great trip.
home now, cleaned, canoe cleaned and away, tent up cleaned and back down, showered and relax :)
I see Rob had a nice campout weekend as well, so it must be the season.
Hope everyone else had a nice one too.

Jamie

Loch Maree below
IMG_3785 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3688 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3703 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3706 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3718 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3722 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3740 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Lunch stop
IMG_3748 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3753 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Dinner stop
IMG_3760 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3771 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Evening setup
DSCN5810 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSCN5816 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Morning paddle and still smiling
DSCN5834 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Looks amazing Jamie.

Today we took Logan for his first and unfortunately last ride on our local miniature railway. After 85 years they’re closing at the end of September due to plummeting visitor numbers over the last decade. Real shame as 4 generations of our family have enjoyed the trip up on down the tracks. At least I had a chance to take him on when he was old enough to enjoy it.

Glad you got to take him but bummer it's closing. I had taken Caleb to the one in Inverness besides the river and he always loves it. I am pretty sure it's still there but I think it only runs certain weekends, it can't be making much money if any. Not sure what the answer is to keeping these things running but they must still be adding real memories and experiences to many kids childhoods.

Jamie

The one in Arbroath has been run not for profit by volunteers for the last 30 years. Current owner has said visitor numbers fell off a cliff when the council relocated the play park to nearer the car park from its old site next to the railway. It’s only a 2 minute walk, but out of sight is out of mind. Has said some days they’ve had 150 passengers, other days they’ve had 6.
Motivation has just gone for keeping it all running. It was his grandfathers, then his dads but I remember his dad dying suddenly when he was quite young. Lots of other volunteers have passed on, and I think there just too many ghosts now to spend his entire free time trying to keep it going for little interest from the public.

Re:

Due to an overdose of stupidity I have put myself on the Strathpuffer solo single speed waiting list. Hopefully it's a long list and I don't make it but in these uncertain times I have a bucket list and this daft event is on there. One needs targets though it might be wise to miss this one :LOL:

I am very good at suffering though so that's half the battle :facepalm:

Re: Re:

velomaniac":2qjtqy77 said:
Due to an overdose of stupidity I have put myself on the Strathpuffer solo single speed waiting list...
A common character trait amongst the 'Puffer solo SSers. :)

It's always better on the day than the dread of anticipation in the week before.

Re:

Oh Canada!! Jamie, stunning scenery, you could be in the Northwest Territories going by the photos :D

Jamie - Mountain Man :LOL:

Re:

Thanks Jimo
My time was spent in the eastern provinces, Algonquin mainly. Hence my love of canoes and sled dogs :)

Jamie

After a morning with visiting family the weather soon cleared up here to lovely sunshine and just a light breeze so Caleb and I decided to take the FS Continental out for a shakedown ride to town to get an ice cream. Calebs crank shorteners worked great though I still need to put a narrower TA bottom bracket on the front. Gears need completely sorted to work right and bars and levers up front need changed. I will most likely strip it completely when I put in the new BB and deep clean and refresh everything. Caleb did really well especially as we went the long way and he had a few climbs to manage, he is fine on his small touring bike but was just as instantly at home on this. Really pleased he was so happy and seems like a good successor to our Big Dummy cargo bike for our further adventures.
Had dinner and now the clouds have come back in and it looks like winter out there!
Hopefully it was nice for the rest of the macretro clan where ever you are and especially for Kaiser who is walking the West Highland Way in one go today :shock: good man.

Jamie

IMG_3799 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3793 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3797 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_3802 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Fantastic... makes me wish I done this with our Jimmy... now he just leaves me for dust!

Back