Show us what you did today, thread

A couple of hours out this afternoon on the Jack Taylor as had to head into town to pick up a couple of bits from the Bike Shop. Namely a longer BB for the Mercian build. Wasn't sure if it would be open but thought I better try and support my local shop. Glad I did as got exactly what I needed and a bit more ( without hoarding ;) )
Had to find a longer route than my commuting one as now we have moved I am only about 1/2 hour ride to town/work with the bike shop a little bit closer.
Nice ride as it cannot be anything but on the JT, though not as sunny as a few days this week and still really cold with temp sitting around three degree or so. The strong southerly wind didn't help either. Home to the family and a nice warm fire, so was soon warmed up.
Hope everyone is keeping OK and looking after themselves and their families. At least riding is still allowed and is a good way to stay healthy, get out and enjoy some fresh air and is still self isolating.

Jamie

IMG_2535 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_2538 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Nearly Home
IMG_2542 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Nice pics as ever Jamie, but self isolating isnt riding about possibly contaminating everything :LOL:
In fact there was something on tv this morning about it where the local councils are not wanting folk going off into rural Scotland with campervans etc to self isolate in the wilds. In fact I think they're attributing some of what happened in Italy from people going off visiting it spread it far and wide.

Re:

Maybe not technically self isolating but I am not under self isolation. I also know I am not spreading anything as whilst riding so my destination is my destination whether in a car or riding. No different to riding to work and in fact the UK government is encouraging those that have to be at work to try and walk or ride or run so as to be outside and get fresh air.
At this point it is a moot one anyway as hopefully tomorrow the government when it meets in Westminster will approve full emergency powers which will turn around the vast hoards of campervans fleeing from the cities to the remote Highlands.
The government has asked them not to come, has put articles in papers etc and still they come. I believe it’s a case by case deal, if they are coming like most because they think a getaway in the highlands will protect them or get them quicker treatment then turn them back, if they are heading back great. There are currently three icu incubators in the area north, if the current rate of tourists keep coming they will increase the population by more than a third by next weekend. Not only is the chance of even one them bringing infection likely they will also most likely use the resources that were for locals. This is because the government worked out if everyone stays home then resources are worked out per area. Raigmore Hospital has supposedly already put in place a dnr for anyone over 70!
This camper van situation is a real powder keg on the north and west coast with Skye residents trying to block the bridge, Barra and Canna shutdown for residents only and freight only on the islands, Orkney is looking likely to be locked down after last ferry tonight with freight only. Yesterday Glencoe had over 35 Campervans in their car parks and another on the A9 near Aviemore had 30 told to move on as they wouldn’t fit. So some seriously crazy stuff going on.
For me though, because of Heathers condition, she is in isolation for 12 weeks as if she gets it, she won’t survive and will not even be incubated if there are others needing it. My job though is deemed essential as it’s a disease surveillance lab for veterinary, and while normally I may be off, the fact that they made my colleagues redundant last month means I must be there with the vet.
Precautions I take are when I arrive at work are, I have a clean space, strip, shower then put on scrubs, when I leave, I strip, throw scrubs in washing machine, I shower then put on my gear and ride home, inside my front door, I strip, head for the open shower, shower, then disinfect anything I touched on the way through, then that’s me. During the day is minimal contact with anyone except the vet, with scrubbing and lab coats etc. when moving from room to room, distances kept and usual high precautions anyway. The likely hood is when lockdown comes I may have to just stay at work.
Pain in the arse but a small effort to keep myself, family and others safe.
So while my post sounded blasé and like any other ride both at home and in the bike shop, contact was minimal and big distances were maintained along with the ‘disinfection’ routine on return home, but that sort of kills the post about just another bike ride. :)
I didn’t mean to make it sound as though I was being thoughtless as I certainly wasn’t but like I said that doesn’t make for a light hearted piece about just another bike ride. This week though the bike ride commute more than yesterday’s ride was just the thing for keeping my mind in perspective with regards all this craziness. By the time I got home all was well.

Jamie

Re: Re:

Jamiedyer":20z5guno said:
...Raigmore Hospital has supposedly already put in place a dnr for anyone over 70!...
I've not been able to confirm it, but if it's true, I'm a goner if I get it.

So now I'm looking at my bikes and thinking "Do I want to miss my what could be my last chance?" Luckily I can get a decent ride in without touching the tarmac apart from about 200 yards, and I won't be near anyone while doing so. There's some pluses to living on the edge of a mountain.

As it is I've had to do the shopping because we have 2 broken kinder at home who are even more vulnerable than me.

I'm hoping my Great Cull of 2020 doesn't include me. :)

Re:

Dyna, I realised you weren’t having a go or serious I just thought I better clear up that I wasn’t just being flippant and not caring.
Speaking of non caring, you may need space to stretch out and rest Brian so I can store a couple of those bikes until your better. I know there’s space for a Shand and a Scot. ;)

Jamie

Back