Vintage Gravel

Bullpup":3kneo3my said:
I used to have one of those Rudges . It was my father’s . I happily ran it for several years until I took it to university in Aberdeen. The lack of gears led to it’s replacement and then Abandonment!
Have you got the grid reference for which hedge you left in under? :)

Finally got the Windrush together. Rides very nicely.

Now to test it properly.

DSCN7615

The beauty about getting a pre-mangled bike is you feel no obligation to preserve patina.

So my approach with this has been to imagine it's a bike I've had since I was a lad, and then make the changes to it I would have done over the years to keep it relevant.

Spec:

Dawes Windrush frame and forks in R531. I'll repaint it, once I've settled on final config.
Wheels: I built them with modern 700c Mavic rims for convenience of getting decent tyres, plus they're stronger for offroad stuff, DTSwiss butted spokes, NOS Normandie F/hub, Sturmey SRF-5 rear.
Brakes: NOS Mafac Racers with Weinmann levers. May change to Resilion cantis, and will probably change the levers - feel flexy.
Saddle: Itala 27mm seatpost, NOS Ideale saddle. (Temporary modern seatpost clamp until I work out most comfortable height with the Lauterwasser bars).
Steering: GB stem, new alloy Lauterwasser bars (by Soma)
Cranks: NOS splined Gnutti driveside, patina-ed one lhs, Gnutti BB.
Chain: manky 2nd hand Wipperman ⅛"

Cabling is all ziptied. When I repaint, I'll run the brake cable properly through frame mounts (don't have the appropriate ferrules to fit them). I'm hoping to be able to make up a gear lever for the downtube and run a bare cable through a pulley instead of using an outer (the modern S-A levers don't fit.

EDIT: looking for
Dawes bagrest to fit the frame mounts. Any condition - even if buggered because I'll use it as a pattern to make a replica.
Stepped ferrules for frame cable stops.
Gnutti lhs crank in vgc.

Put it to the test up and down the hills at Abriachan and Blackfold near Inverness on a ride with the Highland Classic Bike group. It's a keeper.

It's difficult to climb on muddy tracks with skinny tyres no tread :)

Reelig Glen

And the motley crew

We didn't have time to visit this fine dining establishment. It's always worth a visit. Maybe next time.

We were lucky with the weather. It was pissing down when I left home, but I was determined to get some miles in after the spring and summer we've had so far.

The weather gods smiled upon us and it was dry with occasional cooling headwinds.

If any of you fancy a quality vintage gravel bike, this is highly suitable - a Humber Clipper, one owner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133149564332?ul_noapp=true

Other than the brakes, every bit as good as a modern bike IMO (if you like hub gears)

I would bid, but I'm under a self imposed ban. :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
epicyclo":2xywjdtc said:
If any of you fancy a quality vintage gravel bike, this is highly suitable - a Humber Clipper, one owner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133149564332?ul_noapp=true

Other than the brakes, every bit as good as a modern bike IMO (if you like hub gears)

I would bid, but I'm under a self imposed ban. :)

I'm able to collect this if anyone from that north bit wants it!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back