MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

Two things .........

(1) Don't bother wasting your money on a Thomson Masterpiece seat post they're not worth it.

(2) Is there such a thing as a waterproof bike jacket, my Endura MT500 hasn't quite achieved my expectations.

Re: Re:

RobMac":3b3zbluw said:
Two things .........

(1) Don't bother wasting your money on a Thomson Masterpiece seat post they're not worth it.

(2) Is there such a thing as a waterproof bike jacket, my Endura MT500 hasn't quite achieved my expectations.

Pay particular attention to the recommended torque setting.

Might try Nikwax on it.

RobMac":1wxzun3e said:
Is there such a thing as a waterproof bike jacket, my Endura MT500 hasn't quite achieved my expectations.

In what way?

IME there’s no point in a full waterproof at this time of year. They’re just too hot and don’t breath well enough for high intensity activities such as cycling.
Also, how have you washed it? Nikwax is good to help water beading but is so a tumble dry.

Though the Masterpiece seatpost was road only? You had it on a mtb?

I find that no jacket is 100% waterproof as if it is it won't come to close to breathing so you will end up wetter on the inside from sweat and condensation anyway. Though some are better than others. My thin Polaris is a good jacket for most times and while meant to breath doesn't so as soon as it's not raining you need it off as otherwise, especially on the mtb it really starts getting wet inside.
As for Thomsen, I have a stem, seatpost clamp and seatpost on the Big Dummy and while they are functional and work like anything else the bolts and fittings are made of cheese. I'm glad they came on it because if I had paid what they are worth I would have sent them back to Thomsen in a bag of shite as that's where they would belong. Overpriced, poorly made , overhyped shite. I am not heavy handed by any stretch yet I have had to replace the allen bolts in the stem, the seatpost bolts loosen randomly and the seatpost clamp bolt is awaiting me taking the Dremel to it as it too has rounded out. When I get it off I will be taking it to the incinerator at work so the world will be rid of these pieces of rubbish once and for all. Not that I am bitter at all.
I might put that review on their facebook page or maybe to the fanboys on singletrack, though they deserve to use it ;)

Jamie

clubby":3kd8i1js said:
RobMac":3kd8i1js said:
Is there such a thing as a waterproof bike jacket, my Endura MT500 hasn't quite achieved my expectations.

In what way?

IME there’s no point in a full waterproof at this time of year. They’re just too hot and don’t breath well enough for high intensity activities such as cycling.
Also, how have you washed it? Nikwax is good to help water beading but is so a tumble dry.

Though the Masterpiece seatpost was road only? You had it on a mtb?
I didn't know that so I checked their website
"Masterpiece posts may be used for cross-country mountain biking by riders who weigh 200 pounds or less"

Hard to believe it but I'm under 200 pounds.

Re:

The Endura jacket hasn't had a lot of use yet but I get damp/wet patches on my shoulders and chest in moderate rain in a pretty short space of time. I'll probably use the Nikwax when I give it it's first wash.

Re:

How long you had it?
My gorerex gets washed a few times each winter as performance definitely drops when it’s dirty.

clubby":jiyitxay said:

It's Rob we're talking about remember :LOL:

clubby":3alzwc1b said:
How long you had it?
My gorerex gets washed a few times each winter as performance definitely drops when it’s dirty.
Tail end of 2017 I think, and maybe used it a dozen times.

Re:

I read an article in a climbing/mountaineering magazine I use to get many years ago about Goretex and how breathable it is.
In ideal conditions, i.e. not in normal use the way everybody actually uses Goretex jackets, it is perfectly breathable but ideal conditions almost means laboratory conditions. Goretex needs vapour pressure to push out the moisture as vapour molecules which are small enough to pass through the pores in the Goretex membrane. To maintain this vapour pressure it has to be warm enough inside jacket so that it does not condense into water which cannot pass through the pores as the water molecules are too big. This is also how Goretex stops rain getting in.

Jackets need to be almost sealed to create the warm atmosphere which will maintain this vapour pressure. If, as we all do, wear a jacket with zip down a bit or sleeve cuffs open because we are too warm, or hem of jacket is open which most are normally, we allow the interior of jacket to cool down so there is no vapour pressure. Damp/wet patches then occur.
If there then is a layer of actual moisture on inside of jacket it cannot pass through and the water vapour cannot either.
That is also why jackets have to be cleaned and occasionally re-proofed so that rain balls up and runs off the outer fabric, if it gets wet the vapour cannot pass through it after passing through the pores in Goretex. Probably the inner fabric also needs to be clean and proofed as well for same reasons.

Some of the above may be me misremembering but it is essentially why most folk moan about their "waterproof" :roll: jackets.

Back