Clubbytrails 2019 - Strade Be-Manky. Sun April 28th. 9.30

Re:

Night shift , otherwise I would have come. Won't be in a fit state to drive through after a 10 hour shift then go back to work on Sunday night.

Re: Clubbytrails 2019 - Strade Be-Manky. Sunday April 28th.

I've cycled a bit in the Cairngorms on a 1970's Dawes Galaxy without issue so I'm going with the old school touring bike bit with a few small bodged tweaks to make it more off tarmac capable :cool:

Sounds very good to me Velo :) I was hoping to have my new build tourer along but as I'm busy the next fortnight I can't see it being finished in time.
Looking like it will be the Jack Taylor for me. I will have put my new bars on by then hopefully, along with my non aero Mafac levers to go match the brakes.
I will leave the mudguards in place that I mounted last weekend as that's really all old guys need for off road I think ;)
Looking forward to it whatever I ride :)

Jamie

Another scouting ride yesterday. Route changed again slightly to take in a lovely wee track through some fields. Trails very dry and next week looking good too. May need to change ride name to Strade Be-Dusty.

How rough is it going to be?

It's not that I mind rough tracks as Jamie can attest, but I thought it would be a chance to give the Ti Pompino* an outing.

However it only takes a 32mm tyre, and seeing as I have been having undercarriage problems I prefer to ride something with a bit more volume in the tyres.

I can make some modifications to the riding position and put a bouncy Brooks saddle on it, so short bits of rough no problem.
*(it's the prototype from 10 years ago, but it was going to be too expensive to produce - shame as it is a lovely bike).

epicyclo":32wa78ep said:
How rough is it going to be?

In places, quite.
I have ridden the majority of the route in sections over the past week. Worst sections are the lumpy field boundaries, but these are pretty short and there’s only a couple. The rest of the “gravel” sections are farm tracks and dirt roads. Did find an old MTB singletrack in the woods that I used to ride. Some “interesting” bits, so unsure whether to include it. There’s an easy bypass so will decide on the day.

I’ve done it all on 40’s. Definitely had to take some bits slower than I would on an MTB, but nothing the tyres couldn’t handle.

I am using 32mm wide tyres as that's all the bike has or takes. Ride slow on the rough stuff and fast on the smooth :)

Having seen what epicyclo has created for clubby's run I suddenly feel extremely unprepared. My skinny tyres roadster now feels like a one legged man at an are kicking contest :-(

velomaniac":2lfjaw30 said:
Having seen what epicyclo has created for clubby's run I suddenly feel extremely unprepared. My skinny tyres roadster now feels like a one legged man at an are kicking contest :-(
I've been having a few wee problems, so I need to make sure I have cushy tyres. I was pissing blood at the'Puffer. :) (But seem ok now - the NHS is ace).

Otherwise I would have been on a vintage steel lugged bike - which may still happen - if I find a suitable seatpost because then I can fit my Brooks B73 triple sprung arse massager.

velomaniac":3h53ozmn said:
Wait for it.

Back