Midnight Sun ride, coast to coast, a short way.

epicyclo

Senior Retro Guru
Midsummer Night ride. (Coast to coast)

I'm going to be doing this.

From Ullapool to Dingwall. Leave at sunset and aim to arrive Dingwall Ferry area at dawn.

That leaves time to stop and celebrate in the middle around Loch Glascarnoch. A drum up, and perhaps a toast with a suitable libation.

Finish down the ferry at Dingwall to dip wheel.

Pace – talking speed.

(I'll probably ride through to Ullapool in the afternoon.)

If anyone wants to tag along, they're welcome. BYO mug and supplies.

Precise date to be arranged but as close to shortest night as possible. You'll need lights (I have a spare set).

Re:

The Summer Solstice is Friday 21 June

Sounds like a good night oot but the 5-6 hour drive to Ullapool puts me off somewhat. :shock:

Re: Re:

Mr Panda":2z3euj1j said:
I'd be keener if it was in daylight! Are you thinking tarmac or offroad/mixture?
Decisions like that are usually made by my front wheel as Jamie can tell you. :)

If in a larger group, offroad bits only if everyone was up for it.

I will be at Mountain Mayhem on 21st June and so could you lot be as teams still need participants. However I know how it goes what with the distances involved. Once more I wish the far north wasn't so far north and that dates wouldn't clash :)
Mayhem is a major expedition for me and it has the benefit of almost entirely motorway. A9 North can be a bit wearing especially if caravans and tractors slow stuff down. I really do not know how Jamie finds it so relatively easy.

velomaniac":310kjh4x said:
...I really do not know how Jamie finds it so relatively easy.
Australian.

You get used to thinking of driving to the next town 200 miles away for coffee.

When I lived out West, the weekend trip to the beach was 650 miles each way, half of which was rough dirt roads.

have to say Velo, having driven the A9 to Aviemore a good few times over last few years i think the average speed cameras have really helped and think journey times have improved. defintely less stressful a drive now.

but like you just wish Inverness and beyond wasnt as far beyond!

Back