And today I did......

Re:

Finally managed to eliminate a creak that's been coming from bike, '99 Marin Wolf Ridge, when pedalling hard or riding uphill, and naw it wisnae ma feckin' knees. A previous feckin' annoying creak from bike was finally traced to not quite tight enough swing-arm bearing pivot bolts. But not before I'd changed cranks and BB, saddle and seatpost without success.

This latest creak started a few rides ago, tried over the last couple of weeks all the previous possible causes to no avail. Cranks were changed and BB tightened, swing-arm bolts tightened tae feck, shock mount bolts tightened, nowt worked.
Had another go this afternoon before a ride but again nowt, was beginning to think frame or swing-arm was cracked till I had my hand on drop-out end of swing-arm next to rear caliper and it's mount while trying to turn cranks with rear brake on. Feck me, I could feel the creak and what's more actually could hear that's where it was coming from. The rear caliper mount/adaptor.

The swing-arm has Marin's idiosyncratic, naw, Marin's stupid non I.S. and non postmount caliper mounting holes that requires Marin's own extremely rare mount adaptor and a special Hope caliper. I'd made an adaptor to take a Hope Mono M4 caliper with 180mm disc. The 180mm disc gave me more room to play with to fit caliper. It was the bolts holding caliper to mount and the mount to swing-arm, tightened them all and creak was gone. :mrgreen: Thank feck. Now I can hear the wheezy noise that occurrs when I'm pedalling, no sure how to eliminate that. :facepalm:

I assume that for there to be a creak there must be a small amount of flex at rear of swing-arm, enough to cause caliper mount to move to make it creak. There had been no creak while using rear brake though, just when pedalling.

Went for ride up Benarty to check all OK and I did some trail maintenance/gardening by pruning a fair few branches off several bushes/trees overhanging trail. Some of these bushes were hawthorn and they had drawn blood the last time I rode down trail. That's the bastards sorted now.

Re:

Went to Halfords because they're offering free MOTs if you buy anything...........wandered around for 5 minutes......then another 5 minutes......really struggled to find anything worth buying :roll:

Came out with a set of yellow tyre levers for £3 as one of my black ones is broken and the other two can never be found in my bag because they're, well, black. What a crap shop, but got mt free MOT voucher :LOL:

Pity really as Halfords used to sell some half decent gear in years gone by.

Also got a knee brace outta Lidl for six quid or so :D

Re:

Heading back across old Forth bridge after night away in Edinburgh, and saw group of 6-10 guys riding across on Raleigh Choppers. Mix of models and colours, but one in a green I've never seen before.
Never had one as a kid and would never use one if I had it, but still cool to see them being riden.

Re:

Today I was foraging for mushrooms with the park rangers on the lower slopes of Benarty Hill.
Might have a wee sniff about with a DH bike :shock:

Re: Re:

RobMac":6rycr6u2 said:
Today I was foraging for mushrooms with the park rangers on the lower slopes of Benarty Hill.
Might have a wee sniff about with a DH bike :shock:

so ye've been sniffing about OCPs back door? :mrgreen:

Back