Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

3sp Sturmey Archer hub was on the first proper bike I had - BSA Wayfarer for my 7th birthday :cool:

Bought in a 2nd hand shop in Dundee when visiting rellys at end of summer and shipped to Glasgow courtesy of BR as it wouldn't fit in the ol' man's car :D

Kept me mobile into teenage years, with the normal customising, which included respraying it Ford Pacific Blue Metallic in the spare room. SA hub was faultless during that time - still have one in me loft looking for a suitable bike.........

Finally got out on a bike again, busy week with work. Rather a stiff headwind most of the way - that kind of wind that is so strong that even as a sidewind it's quite hard going, but otherwise a nice bright and sunny ride loop to see how the turbines are coming along...

roadster_turbines.jpg

These are destined to replace the oil platforms of the now abandoned Beatrice field, not too far away... they're certainly an impressive size, though I'm glad I won't have to see much of them once installed.

Oh - and I arranged to buy a ladies' bike. I really don't need a ladies bike, I've not seen it in person and hence am not even 100% sure what it is - but it has hub brakes, oil bath chaincase and a very elegant frame; got to be worth a fiver including delivery!

Haven't been out on a bike since last post but did snatch five minutes today to see my latest addition in daylight for the first time...

IMG03238-20180920-1755.jpg

It turns out to be a 1934 Humber ladies All-Weather Standard Roadster, amazingly complete (the missing mudguard and chaincase parts came with it) and pretty decent condition considering the 84 years since it was built, which is pretty nice for a fiver.

When I happened to mention it to my dad, it got even better... it was not only almost certainly sold by my great-grandfather whose garage was the local Humber dealer (no idea why I didn't know that before) - it's almost beyond doubt my own grandmother's bike!

Wow how fortuitous is that! That is some connection to your bikes history.
Definitely something quite special, somethings are meant to be :)

Jamie

That's serendipity.

I have 2 Humbers, but rod-braked to the rim.

I have Jamie's rod-brake Triumph frame sitting here, so once he's organised, we can do a rod brake ride. :)

Jamiedyer":38deqt5i said:
Definitely something quite special, somethings are meant to be :)

Definitely! To think I bought this, through a third party who was offered a different bike for free, purely on a verbal description of a "pretty old bike" from someone who bought it on a whim at a jumble sale in Tain about 20 years ago (for a pound) but never did anything with it after!

My granny was a keen cyclist most of her life and bought it new, at trade price (from her father's garage) to cycle to work when she started teaching in a nearby village; she very sensibly went for one of the better models and specifically the "All-Weather" with Brooks Plyflex (rubber coated leather) saddle, thick black enamel instead of chrome plating and the newfangled hub brakes.

She also specifically didn't want a 3 speed hub as her cycling friend had one which apparently was always going wrong!

Sadly she had to give up cycling as Parkinson's disease started to take its toll, and she donated the bike to a jumble sale... where it seems the previously mentioned chap bought it and here we are. Actually without that bike I might not be - she ended up marrying the headmaster at that school, my grandfather!

epicyclo":38deqt5i said:
I have Jamie's rod-brake Triumph frame sitting here, so once he's organised, we can do a rod brake ride. :)

I'm up for that, fairly confident I will have the best stopping ability... with only the one gear "going" may be more tricky but if my granny could go cycle touring on it surely I could manage a wee afternoon out :)

I'm going to have to do a bit of wheel and headset surgery first though - there are a few broken spokes, rear hub bearings need attention and the headset is very tight. A wee winter project to make it safe and rideable is the idea, I'm not a fan of the "rebuild it to as new condition" approach unless it's really necessary.

ajm":2swaxfuu said:
...I'm up for that, fairly confident I will have the best stopping ability... with only the one gear "going" may be more tricky but if my granny could go cycle touring on it surely I could manage a wee afternoon out :) ...

Jamie and I are both luddites who prefer singlespeeds, so no problem there.

BTW Jamie, my cull is going really well, I picked up a 1935 BSA frame, and a year unknown lady's Gazelle Impala with rod operated drum brakes - coupled so both wheels brake from either lever. The Gazelle was intended to be robbed for parts, but it is too good, so it needs rehomed before it morphs into a Grundleigh-Thwaite.

Sounds like you have been busy Brian, and the great cull is going as well as I predicted ;)
You will, like most years, finish with a few more than you started the year with, different ones but more none the less :)
I am not criticizing mind you as I may have an addition myself, or two :)
What do I need for the Triumph?

Jamie

Morning. Somebody up here was selling a fat front set up a while back? I need a fat front wheel, tyre and tube ta.

Jamiedyer":2az8pmy0 said:
...What do I need for the Triumph?

Jamie

Probably best to find a complete bike with the bits to fit the Triumph frame. That way you don't end up looking for a difficult to find small bit.

The bike can be any size, and I recommend a lady's bike because they generally have not done the mileage that a men's bike will have done and usually have been better looked after. Wheel size 26"x 1⅜".

I'll be looking for one for you as well. However I probably have a lot of the necessary bits in my attic - but I'm trying to assemble them into bikes for the cull. :)

Back