MacRetro chat and rides thread

Re:

I was the original frame owner, and had the cable guides drilled out to fit Magura rim brake hoses.
It was sold, and somewhere along the lines someone removed the rear canti guide.
Then I bought the frame back again.

Re:

When did Magura Louise and Clara disc brakes appear?
Remember using them, Louise, on a bike years ago, 2 pads but single-sided piston that made disc flex over to other pad. Seemed to work OK.

Re:

Not sure when they appeared but I had a Careers Hellcat 1999-2000 model I bought brand new in 2000 fitted with Magura Louise brakes. They operated as described but could only be aligned using 0.2 mm spacing washers which was a right pain when setting up the brakes.

I think that around about that time Jim Hopes were the silver grey 1st cable brake, I think it was after or a year or so the black versions came out. Might be a bit of info to be gleaned out their history bumpf.

Cable brake seemed to disappear off ebay etc about 3 years ago. But likely many here own them and a general ask might produce some.
Silver mayb 1990/91 and the black ones that looked like they werent beaten out by a blacksmith were '92-92, then C2's began their development. I think they came out 93 or 4 :? As i had new C2's fitted in 96(front only, sport hub) and formula were the current ones :? I got the C2's cheaper as they were older kit.

If you want something to put a rear on, ive a spare !S mount of the type that is the cut down hope hub axle, bolt on thingummy. etc
Outside of that period hydraulic you're talking the No2 system, which though about can be hit or miss operationally. The IS molunt works and fits the same but offers a wider option .

If youve no mounts. Sorry, forgot to ask which bike. I tracked back a few pages but i couldnt see reference to it.

Incidentally, if youre thinking the early formula as an option, dont. They fade horribly.

Re:

Hmmm..... it’s looking like Hope C2, Open 2 etc I think....

Dyna, I think I bought some cable disks from you a couple of years ago? Maybe it was another retro biker, but I was pulling my hair out trying to get the front to fit on some forks without a lot of bodging, I didn’t even want to think about the work needed to get the rear to work :LOL:
I sold them to a chap on here, I wonder if he had any luck?

Definitely hydro discs I think, the Orange Prestige frame already has the brake cable stops drilled out to fit the hose, and it won’t cost the earth to have a disc tab added to the rear and some paint matched.

As for the front..... :?

alright MacRetro peeps, I hope yir all fine and dandy!!

a bit of advice pls... been a long time since a sold a bike (just keep stacking them up), where would you advise that I post my SC Tallboy for sale??

Re: Re:

gmac123":nvinp6ak said:
RobMac":nvinp6ak said:
1998 > section or Pink bike or STW

cheers master trader ;)

Aye, Robs always looking for “trade”... :LOL:

Plenty of Facebook groups to sell your mtb on, Facebook marketplace too.

MTB Enthusiasts official sales
Life behind bars mtb sales (uk)
MTB sales uk
MTB.UK buy & sell
Filthy rides mtb - buy and sell uk
MTB UK

Etc....

Back