Show us what you did today, thread

Just a follow up on last week's ride.

I was puzzled why the gears weren't working. I'd spent a fair bit of time getting the adjustment spot on, and individually freeing up each link on the selector chain, lubing the cable and gear change etc.

So I put the Rudge up on the stand, and rechecked the adjustment. Way out! How on earth could that happen?

Ah, yes, the S-A aficionados among you have probably guessed.

I had the wheel out to put on a new tyre for last week's ride and didn't redo the adjustment because I had to go out. And then forgot completely about it, total blank.

A couple of minutes on the stand and all was well. Followed that up with a 25 mile ride with no problems, other than one slippage, but that's due to the selector chain still having some stiffness in it.

So now I have a 70 year old bike that runs smoothly and apart from the brakes and about 5lbs extra weight, feels every bit as good as its modern equivalent.

Re:

It does not have a modern equivalent, its like comparing a Sopwith Camel to a modern Typhoon fighter. What you have is a vintage bike that behaves as well as it did when it was new which in its self in no bad thing. Its a nice bike by the way but back in the day did manufacturers off any other colour than black as most vintage roadsters do seem to have been mainly black ?

Re: Re:

velomaniac":130wy69r said:
It does not have a modern equivalent, its like comparing a Sopwith Camel to a modern Typhoon fighter. What you have is a vintage bike that behaves as well as it did when it was new which in its self in no bad thing. Its a nice bike by the way but back in the day did manufacturers off any other colour than black as most vintage roadsters do seem to have been mainly black ?
My Sopwith Camel performs well with its equally ancient engine.

My Typhoon has the same engine,,, :)

Re:

Decided to go for a proper ride today to try out some of the track that leads to the Eagle Observatory in Harris... didn't plan for it being the hottest day of the year though! :facepalm:

Here are a few pics of the route. Started off nice and easy, decent track to the hut and onwards, until it gets to an isolated fishing bothy. From there the track narrowed and got grassy and rutted, some places almost disappearing!

I carried on for a while, but it started turning into a hike-a-bike, and it was properly hot too!

I did two and half hours though (albeit with lots of photo stops :oops: ) and once by the Observatory I didn't see another soul... bliss!

Bike was incredibly comfy, obviously hit the sweet-spot of tyre pressures, and combined with the suppleness of titanium, I suffered no fatigue or wrist pain! :cool:

Unfortunately no sign of eagles, but a grouse flew out of the side of the track at one point and scared the bejesus out of me! :LOL:

On the drive home the car registered 29 degrees, pretty decent for Harris/Lewis! :shock:

Cheers!

Attachments

• baa8.jpg
    baa8.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 595
  • baa7.jpg
    baa7.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 595
  • baa6.jpg
    baa6.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 595
  • baa5.jpg
    baa5.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 595
  • baa4.jpg
    baa4.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 595
  • baa3.jpg
    baa3.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 595
  • baa2.jpg
    baa2.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 595
  • baa1.jpg
    baa1.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 595
Looks lovely :)
A great day for it. Maybe a ride on Harris for the next long overdue Macretro weekend away?

Jamie

Re:

That looks fantastic :D.

I'm just imagining you trying to take a photo of the dash whilst negotiating a country road at 50+mph :shock: :LOL:

Harris is true hike-a-bike country. :)

But it's always worth it.

And as for the sun, despite living in the hottest parts of Oz for over 30 years, the worst sunburn I've ever had was in Harris.

A Retro ride in Harris - I'd be in that if possible.

Great pics of the wonderful countryside.

Somewhere I'l be looking to holiday when the builders are in in a couple of months time. Not hat far up though.

Lovely. I hope this weather holds up there for you :cool:

Actually got out with a group yesterday :D and it felt good and at a better pace for me. Not a great distance, though it was 30d, so maybe cooler days I'd go with the longer route group.

Re:

Cheers lads! :cool:

With reference to this route, it's an 11 mile walking path that leads from Bogha Glas to Meabhaig going by the Eagle Observatory in Harris.

Back in April I decided I was going to try the route from the Bogha Glas side, but it was howling wind, drizzling and the bike was single-speed and waaaaaay too much like hard work for me, so turned back to the car to try another day. :oops:

Here are a couple of pics from that attempt:

I'll follow that up with pics taken from yesterday. :D

Attachments

• bg2.jpg
    bg2.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 496
  • bg1.jpg
    bg1.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 496
  • april23rd.jpg
    april23rd.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 496