MOTOR CHAT

This is certainly a quiet corner nowadays! Just arranged to receive a L322 Range Rover. It came in at my Landy man with a foobarred engine, and I happened to spot it. New engine is going in, and lots of other work being done to make it solid. Lived in a heated garage all its life, but some electrical gremlins to deal with. I hate the newer ones, from 2013 they are way too generic. Happen to be more money than I can afford too! This will be our daily driver for the next few years. LPG conversion will be done later on, early model so 4.4 V8 is a little thirsty to say the least..

Re:

Gives me the chance to compare the Classic Vogue to the L322 Vogue.

Say no more, the Classic is the choice for towing and mowing, the L322 does lovely bar window pickups and trips to the ballet.

Can tow a house too!

Re:

Couple of questions for our two wheel brethren. The bike is going for its mot tomorrow. Now to my mountain bike eye the rear shock looks horrendous, but it does work, doesn't weep but the shaft looks terrible. Given that it's in the direct firing line of all the crap from the road it take it they are more resilient and that shaft condition isn't a failure? If it was a mountain bike shock I'd be worried. Ditto the forks , they actually look good with no oil weeps but the wipers are in a horrible nick. What are fork services like for the home mechanic? Or is it a send off thing? I'm hoping to get the summer out of it then remedy a few things.

Re:

Despite condition It doesn’t sound like anything dangerous or failable tbh, so i wouldn’t worry about it At this stage. Wiper seals do tend to perish but obviously its the oil seals that would be an mot failure. Its also not something thats worth attempting yourself i dont think

Re:

I found fork seal easy to do on my motorbikes and see if you can get a rag in between the coil spring with some chrome cleaner just to help with the appearance of the shock. Use the rag like you'd dry your arse after a shower/bath, rumba stylee.

BTW is the bike in question Italian or Japanese?

Re:

Klaus - rear shock test is to put bike on centre stand then lean across seat and try to lift rear wheel up/down/sideways with both hands, basically checking for play. Any more than a few mm and shock may need service or replacement. Sideways motion is generally wheel or swingarm bearings.

Forks - home serviceable but occasionally need special tool to undo lower fork leg bolt, or improvise with something suitable. Cut down wooden broom handle works on GPZ900R :D

Cleanliness vital as is refilling with correct volume of fork oil, although oil viscosity can be altered slightly for fine tuning.

Get a Paynes manual and join the online forum/OC......

What happened about the Guzzlet cafe racer?

Re: Re:

SEANSTEPHENS":24qkcntf said:
kaiser":24qkcntf said:
Cheers all. Rob it's a Honda.

Which model? I ride a ‘92 VFR

It's a 06 Honda CBF 600, a detuned Hornet. Reviews suggest competent but dull though I have read and saw a few people who are fans. It'll be perfect for me, I'm not really into chasing apexs nor pulling wheelies. Hopefully give me a couple of years service to earn my stripes. At the moment having only footered about with it and gazed admiringly, I too am a fan, really like the look of it. First ride tomorrow to the test station.

Cheers P, did just that and it's sound. Only 8000 miles on it so I was hoping that it'd be fine. Tried the rag clean too with GT85 a bit better but I'll try to get some proper cleaning done eventually.

The Guzzi is still there, might be a project for this winter. Just need time and a plan........and cash. I think I'll start by emersing it in WD40.

Latest posts

Back