MacRetro chat and rides thread

Good man!
I have signed up for it once again and hopefully Brian and Rob might join us again.

I know Brian has some overseas family visiting around then so may not be able to do it but when I spoke to him the other week about it he was going to enter and then try his best to get there. The last couple have been fun but as you say that last one was wet. The wettest I had been for a long while, though this year hopefully we will be fine.

Look forward to catching up mate.

Jamie

Re:

Mavic Crossmax, bitd when rim brakes ruled they were amazeballs !
I did a bike maitenanance course at Edinburgh Bicycle back in the 90's and the bike mechanic teaching us was upgrading his Cannondale F700 which was about to receive a Crossmax wheelset. Pricey for the time but very high quality, stiff, very light. Was extremely jealous.
Might be easier to source moon on a stick though !

Re:

Is this stoopid, I know you'll probably say it is but in principle might it work.

Modern mtbs have long virtual top tubes, short stems and slack head tubes and this is now accepted as a good thing.

I have a budget of as near zero as makes no odds but my recent crash at G7 reminded me my bikes are so far in the past as to be dangerous on modern trails. So here is my solution and that is why I want opinions.

I have an early On-One 456 but cannot make head tube slacker as it predates the slackset upgrade. I do have some 140mm travel forks and I do have a wide rimmed Halo rear 24" wheel. So I figure using said 24" rear wheel with 26" front wheel I can get a slacker head tube without too much loss of BB height. Consequently I might have a bike more suited to modern trails.

Is this idea way to daft ?

Back