And today I did......

Re: Re:

RobMac":1e3jeo7z said:
Today I had my first 27.5+ puncture can't complain though as I've had the bike for 2 years.
Cause : Classic nail in the plank of wood :facepalm:
Bit of trivia : Maxxis tube 371gms Vs Schwalbe SV21F inner tube 214grms :shock:

Took my new-build for its first loaded ride today. The bike has been built specifically for doing an End to End in May.

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=380684

Grabbed four 2 litre bottles of sparkling water, whatever tools were lying about, half a dozen inner tubes, a hoodie and a bag full of bar tape to create both weight and bulk and flung it all into two rear panniers. Just over 14kg in total between the two bags

Deliberately put all the weight at the back to test handling, which it seemed to cope with nicely. I have a bar bag to go on which will help balance things. A tool bottle will take some of the heavier tools I'm taking and will go on a third cage mount on the underside of the downtube, so weight distribution on the ride itself should be pretty good.

Did 20 miles with 350m of climbing up and over Eaglesham Moor in the harder direction. Almost all of the climbing was into the wind, so I'm quite happy with the 13mph average.

I have 7 weeks of training time left thanks to injury and weather... 40 miler tomorrow.

Attachments

• e2etraining.jpg
    e2etraining.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 397
Careful with the bar bag. Better to have low slung front panniers for stability. You can get disc specific racks that are very light and do the job nicely.

It'll only have a couple kilos in it at most.

14kg it at the back is way more than I'll be taking for real. It's also got a stainless steel rack on at the moment which weighs much more than the alloy version waiting to go on for the ride.

I commute with panniers on another bike and I'm very used to being rear heavy...

Attachments

• IMG_20180324_172217-1024x576.jpg
    IMG_20180324_172217-1024x576.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 388
Back